6644b6c80a3e7
1 Guest is here.

Topic: SS1 System Shock ReWired v1.32 Fan Mission
Page: « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Read 13615 times  

6644b6c80b1013RDplayer

Re: SS1 Fan Mission System Shock ReWired
6644b6c80b172
Try your hand at SS2 FM making next 3rdPlayer :p. Thief has a zillion FMs. SS2 on the other hand has only a moderate amount.

Hey guys, uhh let's see. I want and I will finish my Thief map. No matter what. And since I am very experienced with Dromed, SS2 would be a cakewalk to mod for. But I rather would want to continue working on my 1:1 recreation of Spencer Mansion in Thief 2.

anyway, I think I have seen voiced logs/emails for ReWired mentioned somewhere (would be great, as no System Shock FM should be without voiced mails/logs) - how are you tackling the Shodan voiceovers? I did manage to achieve decent results just by using free online voice generators when creating audio for the Minstrel AI (Ariadne), but getting such a voice to sound even remotely Shodanesque would require some serious sound editing skills.

I have an actress speaking SHODAN, and she does a great job. Rest is up to my audio editing skills, which are... let's not talk about them for the time being. And I don't fear comparisons. My SHODAN is not the same SHODAN. So we can give it our own spin. Here is all logs so far

ohh and version 1.2 is out! ;)

6644b6c80b5a1voodoo47

6644b6c80b629
any interesting source port related fixes?
Lansing's recording equipment seems to be introducing some bad form of crackling noises, apart from that, not bad so far. but yeah, the Shodan stuff.. as mentioned, my brain just goes does not compute if it's not Terri. maybe some more tweaking that would get the voice lower down could help.

6644b6c80b778icemann

6644b6c80b7cc
Some of the audio logs weren't bad. A few overacted. Shodan sounds quite nasal-y in that first log.

Nice to hear new audio logs after so long either way. Nice work on the audio effects.
6644b6c80b9ef
Sorry to be the mandatory idiot who makes a stupid point (every good thread has one  :/), but I've heard that there is software that can learn to 'copy' a person's voice, so that you run a few pre-recorded files of speech through the program (or just get the person to speak into the PC's microphone whilst the program is monitoring the microphone), and then the program can 'speak' in a good approximation of the person's voice.

If these programs did work properly, then it would be great, not only for mod-makers who want to make mods with in-game speech that matches up with the speech by characters in the original games, but it could help too if the original actors/actresses are available for hire but their voices or performances don't match their earlier work.

But since I've not (as far as I can remember) seen these sort of programs mentioned in regard to modding, am I to take it that the results of these programs aren't (yet) good enough for this purpose? A pity, if that's the case.

6644b6c80baedvoodoo47

6644b6c80bb3b
wasn't aware of such a thing - I'm thinking that while it probably won't be good enough to emulate Garrett for example, it could be sufficient for Shodan, as the added distortion would mask the flaws quite efficiently, I'd imagine. basically, if you can generate a voice that sounds somewhat like Terri, and Shodanify it well, you could get a pretty believable Shodan voice, one that doesn't make you cringe.

assuming the mentioned software is available for free/as trial.
« Last Edit: 10. July 2018, 18:22:54 by voodoo47 »

6644b6c80bc4dJosiahJack

6644b6c80bca2
Amd assuming you could feed it enough pure unaltered files of Terri talking, err, normally as SHODAN without the distortion effects layered on yet.

6644b6c80c2333RDplayer

6644b6c80c298
I've heard that there is software that can learn to 'copy' a person's voice, so that you run a few pre-recorded files of speech through the program (or just get the person to speak into the PC's microphone whilst the program is monitoring the microphone), and then the program can 'speak' in a good approximation of the person's voice.
Well, I could also just take the Hatsune Miku vocoder and let her speak my SHODAN? ;) Miku talking down on Hacker: "You have listened to my songs for the last time, baka!"

any interesting source port related fixes?

I added empty strings to some logs and texts so they dont crash anymore. Axemeleon already fixed the bug gamecode wise, but there might be other sourceports in the future that might not be so lucky. So by default I decided to always add empty strings by editing the .res file directly with the tool he send me after I changed them with schocked/hacked.

Some screens refering to surveilance cameras the player interacts with crash the game when he exits them. Axemeleon also did change this in the game code. And I also figured out that no alternative picture source is needed to display them. So whenever you have a surveilance camera set up in your mod, make sure to set "alternative sources" to 0 in the editor for screens in question.
Acknowledged by: voodoo47

6644b6c80c3883RDplayer

6644b6c80c3de
I updated the topic with version 1.30.
There was already a hotfix that removed the custom reactor soundtrack due to problems with the sourceport fixing the original reactor track. This caused error messages to popup the player would require to click on "Close" everyime a robot shot on level R. This track will be put back in once this problem is resolved.

6644b6c80c5133RDplayer

Re: SS1 Fan Mission System Shock ReWired v1.30
6644b6c80c570
Changed installation instructions due to update to System Shock Enhanced Edition by Nightdive Studios.

////////////////////////
//PACKAGE B INSTALLATION
////////////////////////
This package can be played with:
- System Shock Enhanced Edition

1. Open a Windows-Explorer window and type the following into the location bar:

%APPDATA%\Nightdive Studios\System Shock EE\mods

2. Drag and drop the "rewired"-folder of the just downloaded .zip-file into the in step 1 opened directory.

3. Start the game and activate the Mission under Modifications of the title screen.

6644b6c80c690voodoo47

Re: SS1 Fan Mission System Shock ReWired v1.30
6644b6c80c6e1
yeah, not too happy about that particular change, never was a fan of games spreading their files all over the hard drive, and it definitely is going to make mod/FM install more annoying.
Acknowledged by: Kolya

6644b6c80c889ludo1800

Re: SS1 Fan Mission System Shock ReWired v1.32
6644b6c80c8e8
Just finished the Mod, I think...

But on a bug, I will try later once more to confirm : Not any SHODAN to kill !  :cyborg: Just two mobs, loss of nearly control, screen starting to fade on Shodan's face, even if I exit the Cyberspace LOL...
Anyway, not so a big deal, hoping it is some kind of the same ending in the original game...

First of all : CONGRATULATION ! Really good job, and, I must say : I want more ! Please  :aii: !

Difficulty is OK, areas are huge, even too much some times, the maze aspect is cool ! Even in Cyperspace, really, really good job. And thanks to the maze aspect, I presume there are some "replaying" possibilities...

Voice acting is cool, but a little cold, a little too impersonnal, too scolar maybe... Shodan needs more stuttering and fuzzy effects...

As I said just above, maybe a little too "mazy", but that's OK...

Oh, and i found a glitch/bug, I think : in the Throne room, the "ramp" to the windows just facing the long ramp to the cyber port, between the entrance and the Cortex Reaver, is radiations/poisonning free... Maybe it's on purpose, maybe not  :lulu:...

Once again, THANKS and CONGRATS !  :heart:
Best regards from France !

6644b6c80d2e53RDplayer

6644b6c80d3b9
Just finished the Mod, I think...

But on a bug, I will try later once more to confirm : Not any SHODAN to kill !  :cyborg: Just two mobs, loss of nearly control, screen starting to fade on Shodan's face, even if I exit the Cyberspace LOL...
Anyway, not so a big deal, hoping it is some kind of the same ending in the original game...

Thanks for the feedback.

If you would've read the install_instructions.txt that comes with rewired. it Says:

//KNOWN BUGS
////////////
It might happen that the SHODAN critter sprite becomes invisible but she will still sit on her throne, so keep shooting if that happens.

Difficulty is OK, areas are huge, even too much some times, the maze aspect is cool ! Even in Cyperspace, really, really good job. And thanks to the maze aspect, I presume there are some "replaying" possibilities...

^ There is two ways to level 3. One of them lets you skip all cyberspace terminals except for the final one. And yes, when you get kicked out or killed by SHODANs guards and land outside in the realworld. She will still pixelate your screen and kill you. That's intentional.

Oh, and i found a glitch/bug, I think : in the Throne room, the "ramp" to the windows just facing the long ramp to the cyber port, between the entrance and the Cortex Reaver, is radiations/poisonning free... Maybe it's on purpose, maybe not  :lulu:...

^ That is correct. Updating the mod to fix such a small issue is a problem. Because doing so would make your old savegames incompatible. So it will stay in the mod. I'm sorry.

Thanks you so much again for your feedback! And who knows, maybe one day someone will make a french translation of my mod. The files to do so are here.

6644b6c80d7f0voodoo47

6644b6c80d847
Updating the mod to fix such a small issue is a problem. Because doing so would make your old savegames incompatible.
this is expected behavior (SCP, TFix etc), and would be quite odd to take old saves into consideration. fixed stuff > compatibility with old stuff, always.

6644b6c80da74ludo1800

6644b6c80dac8
this is expected behavior (SCP, TFix etc), and would be quite odd to take old saves into consideration. fixed stuff > compatibility with old stuff, always.

Agree  8)

On the other hand, that ramp makes some kind of a safe zone for get some rest !

6644b6c80dba7voodoo47

6644b6c80dc04
same goes for compatibility with older incarnations of the game engine - it's ok to have it, as long as it does not interfere with fixes, enhancements and the general evolution of the mod/FM. if it does, then abandoning the compatibility for the sake of evolution is preferable - for example, all SS2 mods released or updated after 2012 are considered as requiring NewDark to work properly, and oldDark compatibility is not tested or maintained.
6644b6c80ddb2
That is how we usually go about it, yes. And I'm sure 3rdplayer understands the advantages. But if he thinks the issue is too minor to break backwards compatibility, that is his prerogative to decide. Let's not get too pushy about this. :)

6644b6c80deee3RDplayer

6644b6c80df45
There is a single tile that when the player stands in it he wont get radiation damage. That is minor and doesnt require patching. If there would be a giant game breaking bug, then fixing is necessary. Also, its a good trait to know WHEN TO STOP updating stuff, otherwise you won't be able to move on ;)

Regarding abandoning compatibillity for the sake of evolition. I totally agree. I would make fanmissions for the sourceport only. But using the old enhanced edition is quicker and easier. It's neat that the editor allows saving resources in a way that just patch over existing ones while omitting original ones. But I rather have a full resourcefile with changed and original resources than a resource file with only changed resources. And the side effect is that backward compatibillity will stay intact until the SP allows total control over everything, even code changes per ini file.

6644b6c80e1f3unn_atropos

Acknowledged by: dertseha

6644b6c80e3663RDplayer

6644b6c80e3c0
Sorry for the late reply. Thank you so much for that upload! Some of them dont seem to work tho and give an error message.

Anyway, the reason why I'm posting here is because ReWired made it into the top100 of the mods of the year on moddb. It would be dope if everyone that is interessted would give it its vote so it might land on a high spot! This is exciting! Thanks everyone!

VOTE FOR SS:REWIED AS MOD OF THE YEAR 2018
6644b6c80e5c5
So I finished the mod, but I didn't get to see half of the engineering level, I couldn't find a way into the maintenance tunnels at all, and never got to go into cyber space on that level either due to the security level. I thought going through the hidden entrance in the healing suite was the way to progress and unlock all of that back on the engineering level, but it turned out to be the end with the SHODAN fight. 
While I enjoyed the mod, I'm a little confused, what's the point of the maintenance tunnels if the path is just to get the healing suite key and go through the hidden elevator path to SHODAN? 
Also how does one even get into the maintenance tunnels in the first place? I'd love to replay it and explore that area soon.
6644b6c80e6fb
Never mind, I'm an idiot. I was playing the mod when it was really late. The healing suite path is meant to be a shortcut and I found out where the card for the maintenance tunnels is.

6644b6c80e9aa3RDplayer

6644b6c80ea25
Never mind, I'm an idiot. I was playing the mod when it was really late. The healing suite path is meant to be a shortcut and I found out where the card for the maintenance tunnels is.

Wow, you are the first human being that actually took the shortcut! NOBODY! And I repeat nobody that played it for the first time ever found out about it!

Thank you so much for playing my mod! You are awesome!  :thumb:

6644b6c80eceaNumber two

6644b6c80ed8d
Wow, you are the first human being that actually took the shortcut! NOBODY! And I repeat nobody that played it for the first time ever found out about it!

Thank you so much for playing my mod! You are awesome!  :thumb:
Now that was a lot of sarcasm.
BTW is Tractor Beam fully functional in the game or you had to work on it?

6644b6c80ee63unn_atropos

6644b6c80eeb7
Nah, no sarcasm.

My impression of 3RDplayer is one of a genuine guy.
Acknowledged by 3 members: Kolya, K-Bone, 3RDplayer

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

How can you challenge a perfect, _____ machine? (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
Why can't this be killing you?
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
6644b6c81002d