66ee4f4b3ca56

66ee4f4b3d2df
11 Guests are here.

66ee4f4b3da23ZylonBane

66ee4f4b3da85
I thought SS2:EE was going to launch alongside the new remake, which is scheduled for a Summer release. I just thought that maybe you guys had planned to get the new versions of SCP/SHTUP out around that same time.
I can't think of a single thing that would motivate anyone to delay releasing the next SCP and/or SHTUP.

66ee4f4b3dbd0voodoo47

66ee4f4b3dc22
ign says SS2EE is planned to be released alongside SSR. would take it with a grain of salt, until NDS confirm it somewhere, that is.
66ee4f4b3ddba
They mentioned that's their intention in the January KS Update: "It’s our intention to release both System Shock remake and SS2:EE around the same time." https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3019900
Acknowledged by: voodoo47

66ee4f4b3e003Mr. Death

66ee4f4b3e05a
ZylonBane
So you guys are planning to release the new versions of SCP/SHTUP before then?

Also, just out of curiosity, will the new release of SCP still be considered a beta? The last version (beta 4) was already so polished and complete feeling. I'm certainly not an expert on game/mod development, so I was just curious if the next version will be labeled as a regular release or will it be beta 5?
66ee4f4b3e326
Has anyone tried to recreate Body of the Many? It's probably the worst looking level, right? textures that are harshly cut-off etc. its something that would need a rather big update since you can't just change to a better resolution, in fact that will make it look worse since you will even more clearly see how the textures are not aligned..

66ee4f4b3e3d4voodoo47

66ee4f4b3e425
SCP fixes this iirc, but it still doesn't look too great, Dark is just not very good at doing meaty tunnels.
66ee4f4b3e510
it does? cool. Might cheat myself there to see how it looks.

66ee4f4b3e5bavoodoo47

66ee4f4b3e607
yeah, NewDark has a way of wrapping textures around cylinders seamlessly, that has been applied if memory serves. places where they intersect still don't look great though.
66ee4f4b3e900
SCP fixes this iirc, but it still doesn't look too great, Dark is just not very good at doing meaty tunnels.

Then again, who actually likes organic levels anyway? They never seem enjoyable in any game, and even if System Shock 2 did them photo-realistically (ugh, don't try to picture that  :omg:) I doubt it would make the environments fun to play through.
66ee4f4b3ea65
Didn't they use one of the dev's colonoscopy footage for the textures? We should ask Ken Levine if he can get us the original video. That could be a great asset for an enhanced version.
Acknowledged by: icemann
66ee4f4b3ee68
Didn't they use one of the dev's colonoscopy footage for the textures? We should ask Ken Levine if he can get us the original video. That could be a great asset for an enhanced version.

That was Josh Randall's video. It was uploaded on his website ages ago, called "inner voyage". It was very low-rez, 3-fps video which didn't really resemble anything. So you have ask to him for a higher-rez rip. He told me when he had to do colonoscopy he asked the doctor if he can take the vhs recording. Then some of the devs watched the video and it gave him an idea for the Many overall style. Never mentioned some footage was used for textures.

You can reach Josh here: https://www.facebook.com/robotkid
When we met I did some video+audio recordings, so maybe (if I didn't turn off the audio recorder) it's somewhere. Will check and respond.

[added]

Listened through the recordings (http://valet2.com/images/blabla/josh_2012_wavs.png). No, the story is not there I'm afraid. But you can write to Josh, he responds.
« Last Edit: 07. March 2021, 08:26:52 by Valet2 »

66ee4f4b3ef73icemann

66ee4f4b3efc3
No activity on that page since 2014 by look of it

66ee4f4b3f1e6unn_atropos

66ee4f4b3f238
Yeah! We need that colonoscopy report!  :omg:
66ee4f4b3f507
Then again, who actually likes organic levels anyway? They never seem enjoyable in any game, and even if System Shock 2 did them photo-realistically (ugh, don't try to picture that  :omg:) I doubt it would make the environments fun to play through.

Cool break from the usual design in the game for sure, the idea is that its supposed to be creepy which something at least a little closer to photo realism definitely would add..
66ee4f4b3f608
I don't know, I liked organic levels back in the day, or at least didn't mind it. It didn't age well for sure.
66ee4f4b3f818
Hi guys,

Just for fun, I did a bit of an up-resing of the Hybrid model to try to get a more consistent look, removing the texture mirroring. Using AI upscaling on the texture. and doing some basic poly modelling to fix some of the weirdness in the original (I'm looking at you ankles and pointy toes)

The image also uses specular and bump maps, but I'll guessing that won't be supported.
Could this type of thing be usable in the enhanced edition?

Cheers,
FunkyG
Acknowledged by: Starspawn

66ee4f4b3f8e7voodoo47

66ee4f4b3f938
it could be, but making the model not look off the will be tricky - for example, both models on the picture look shorter than they should be, this seems to be a common issue when trying to convert the models from the original format.

66ee4f4b3fa31Nameless Voice

66ee4f4b3fa7d
If you can import it back into the game, it could be usable as a mod for either edition.

66ee4f4b3fb21ZylonBane

66ee4f4b3fb6d
It looks like you have a decently trained model for upscaling organic textures. Have you considered applying this model to the Body of the Many object textures?
66ee4f4b3fc6b
I haven't yet, though what I did for the hybrid was 1 part texture painting, 1 part AI up scale.

Do we know anything about whether the Enhanced Edition will support higher resolution textures.

66ee4f4b3fd69ZylonBane

66ee4f4b3fdb8
They're currently planning on including SHTUP and 400 as optional mods, so that's probably as much texture boosting as we're getting.

Would be nice to improve the BotM object textures, especially since some of them are applied to models that are huge in-game, but they're the sort of textures that require actual artistic talent to recreate.

66ee4f4b3febaGodlike

66ee4f4b3ff08
NightDive if you reverse engineer the engine is it possible you include bump mapping? Also please include high res enhanced object and textures true to originals, nothing fancy that break SS2 artisty. IMHO

66ee4f4b3ff95voodoo47

66ee4f4b3ffe0
read the first post, would you kindly.

66ee4f4b400c0voodoo47

66ee4f4b4010d
looks like SS2EE has entered the internal testing phase; https://twitter.com/NightdiveStudio/status/1386090332002025472?s=19

that hopefully means the quasi-public betas that have been mentioned last year are now close(r).

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

How can you ____ a perfect, immortal machine? (Fill in the missing word):
11 Guests are here.
she doesn't have bad dreams because she's just a piece of plastic
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66ee4f4b40ff6