66ee830f5815d

66ee830f589bc
8 Guests are here.

66ee830f59291
I like that new model. Have NDS said whether or not the mutants will have different skin colours, different genders, different clothing/uniforms, different heights, different voices, and so on, to make it more realistic?

66ee830f5946fvoodoo47

66ee830f594c4
not aware, and considering the work involved, I'd say this is rather unlikely. looking at the new hybrid model, they didn't overdo it with the polycount/texture resolution, so not having any variety will not pose a problem.
66ee830f5964c
I like the previewed hybrid model, but, and this may have been answered so I am sorry, how much of those will be able to be backported?

I mean, I plan on buying enhanced edition for the sake of keeping up to date, but it is something I have to wonder.

66ee830f596ffvoodoo47

66ee830f5974c
if you are asking whether it will be possible to hammer the SS2EE model back into Dark (in case it will not be compatible for whatever reason), then yes, very sure we will find a way.

we always do.
66ee830f59878
Considering the process for modding and introducing fan missions is very much a hack where you're replacing levels and assets and the mod/FM managers simply make the process less fiddly?

Yes.... It's just a question of how much of a pain in the neck it will be.

I'm still hoping that one Arena FM will be doable in Enhanced Edition because doing that with stable multiplayer offers up some fun co op potential.

66ee830f5992fvoodoo47

66ee830f5997f
I see no reason why EE should not be able to load and play that particular FM - the idea is that it should support SCP, and if it capable of handling that (most NewDark exclusive features used), then everything else should also work.

well, in theory.

66ee830f59abaatomicgasman213

66ee830f59b07
So, I've been looking at news about the new System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition, and I was curious about what folks here at sytemshock.org thought about Night Dive Studios' work so far?  I know they are focusing on making multiplayer more user friendly, but do we know how mods will work? Do people like the new charater models that have been shown off? What are your like/dislikes? Let me know what you think.

66ee830f59ba5voodoo47

66ee830f59bf4
so far we have only seen the updated AI models for the pipe hybrid and the protocol droid, both look decent.
« Last Edit: 25. May 2021, 15:41:00 by voodoo47 »
Acknowledged by: Kolya

66ee830f59f01atomicgasman213

66ee830f59f58
making the inventory work on a console in any kind of sane manner is going to be a nightmare, I'd imagine.

I play a lot on Xbox, and with mouse and keyboard support, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

66ee830f5a010voodoo47

66ee830f5a065
what's the point of having it on a console then.

66ee830f5a116atomicgasman213

66ee830f5a168
I dont play SS2 on xbox, just that I play a lot of games on xbox with mouse and keyboard. I would love to have SS2 on console.

66ee830f5a4aeGodlike

66ee830f5a509
I hope the significant color change is just temporary. There's no good reason to make the protocol droids a different color in what's supposed to be a faithful model update.
That's right. High poly, high res is good, but please do not color change. Make it faithful please.
Acknowledged by: icemann
66ee830f5a66f
It'd be cool if SS2 Enhanced had steam wokshop support
66ee830f5a7d9
On the one hand i can see it as a potential good. On the other I just want it easy to drop in mods and addons in engine and not have steam glommed onto the base engine (I have had the same system shock install drifting through hardware and installs for a decade, and then when night dive did their thing I've installed and kept that installation backed up on a thumb drive so it's traveled through diffrent hardware configurations, windows and linux installs...

And i don't want the remake to whine at me that 'oh noe can't find steam I'm going to growl at you about it.'
Acknowledged by 2 members: sarge945, Join2

66ee830f5a89avoodoo47

66ee830f5a8e7
it's going to be on GOG, so it should be middleware free - as far as I know, if something is on GOG, then it will work all by itself, and the client is just a delivery system, nothing more, not required to actually launch the game.
« Last Edit: 20. June 2021, 17:53:43 by voodoo47 »

66ee830f5ad67ThiefsieFool

66ee830f5adcc
Look alright. Still not sure what's up with the saturation there.
Are the AI skins becoming more drab in preparation for more shader effects and color correction being added to the game?
The mystery continues to unfold.
Acknowledged by: Nameless Voice
66ee830f5af1d
I suppose the new version looks a little better, but I prefer the older one because I love the colour green. Though if a space craft was going to have a mobile, autonomous 'protection' robot, then I think the colour of it would more likely be red or bright orange, so it would be easy to see and offer a visual deterrent to would-be rule breakers. Plus green tends to suggest camouflage for the countryside and forest areas, not really ideal for blending in amidst a space craft's interiors.

66ee830f5afccThiefsieFool

66ee830f5b05e
The green color is more a contrast to the other bots, the high visibility orange pattern was already used on the maintenance bot.

66ee830f5b384ZylonBane

66ee830f5b3e2
Plus green tends to suggest camouflage for the countryside and forest areas, not really ideal for blending in amidst a space craft's interiors.
Right, clearly Diego should have ordered his crew to repaint all the standard military bots they had stocked on the Rickenbacker in anticipation of shooting up the corridors of the Von Braun.
Acknowledged by: Chandlermaki
66ee830f5b7fa
ThiefsieFool
I know. I wasn't  suggesting that the Assault version's colour should be changed, just that in-universe it would make more sense to have the Assault bot  a brighter colour. But for game-play reasons, it is good that we players can tell the bots apart at a distance, by their colours.

Of course, in-universe it would be much better for the bot to have guns on both arms, 360 degree vision, and be extra padded with armour. And probably have a suite of weapons mounted on the bot's front, and the same again on the bot's back. I'm glad the designers didn't go down that route!

Right, clearly Diego should have ordered his crew to repaint all the standard military bots they had stocked on the Rickenbacker in anticipation of shooting up the corridors of the Von Braun.

Well, exactly!  :)

66ee830f5ba68RoSoDude

66ee830f5bab9
I always figured the Assault Droids were that deep shade of green to visually resemble military tanks (which are of course painted green to camouflage with the environment, but the cultural association is the actual target here).
Acknowledged by 2 members: Kolya, ZylonBane

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

A familiar door code with 3 digits:
8 Guests are here.
Your environment is clear. You may proceed.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66ee830f5f36d