66ef38d83d3c4

66ef38d83d8f6
1 Guest is here.

66ef38d83e0c9logical

66ef38d83e13c
sarge945
Oh dear... that is a serious condition, please visit an eye doctor as soon as possible.  :D

Joking aside, I did say difference was small. It is not that unnoticeable though.

66ef38d83e2e1eldrone

66ef38d83e341
There's always the struggle between fixing things or keeping them faithful.

Sneakily keeping my eye on this thread!
Acknowledged by 4 members: Nameless Voice, ThiefsieFool, Join2, logical

66ef38d83e4d9voodoo47

66ef38d83e53a
pretty ok, but would recommend tweaking the texture to make him look less cuddly/puppy eyed.
Acknowledged by 2 members: icemann, Hikari

66ef38d83e657icemann

66ef38d83e6ad
As long as it doesn't end up like Rebirth did, with some models that looked great and some that looked very out of place or average.

66ef38d83eb25RocketMan

66ef38d83eb80
pretty ok, but would recommend tweaking the texture to make him look less cuddly/puppy eyed.

What would be wrong with that?  He's human after all.  Must all characters in the game look menacing or creepy?

66ef38d83ecbbZylonBane

66ef38d83ed1e
You only ever see two alive male humans in the entire game anyway, so it hardly matters.

66ef38d83edfbvoodoo47

66ef38d83ee55
that has never stopped us - remember that one object that is only used once in the entire vanilla game, and we still fixed it knowing that there is pretty much zero chance nobody will ever notice?
66ef38d83f14a
You only ever see two alive male humans in the entire game anyway, so it hardly matters.
There's also ghosts. Also fanmissions can use that stuff

66ef38d83f3bdZylonBane

66ef38d83f41b
There's also ghosts.
Are you really going to make me explain that ghosts aren't alive?
66ef38d83f516
That's a straw man argument. The point was they are same model with semi-transparent texture
Acknowledged by: Hikari

66ef38d83f6d1ZylonBane

66ef38d83f71f
The point was they are same model with semi-transparent texture
How much would you care to wager on that assertion?
Acknowledged by: Chandlermaki

66ef38d83f7b3RocketMan

Acknowledged by: Chandlermaki

66ef38d83f979eldrone

66ef38d83f9c9
It's used mostly for the humans in starting levels as well as cortez, suarez, watts. IIRC.

Ghosts have the same face, but actually have closed eyes, but they're translucent and very brief moments that it's easy to miss it.

My list is massive, but I occationally go back to the older things I've made to touch up colors, contrast and various things, moreso when I'm moving them ingame, It's essentially every single ai-mesh and, hostile things like turrets being remade.

Luckily we have a new importer/exporter for ai-meshes which makes this work a little bit less messy.

Here's another one showing the weird properties of an extremely lowpoly head and choosing which angle you want to recreate faithfully:

[crew_progress.jpg expired]
Acknowledged by: ThiefsieFool

66ef38d83fa7dZylonBane

66ef38d83fad6
Oh yeah, Suarez and Tommy, forgot about them. Poor guys didn't even rate getting their own custom model.

66ef38d83fd0celdrone

66ef38d83fd63
ZylonBane
To be fair, only Diego got a custom one if we don't count bloome, the rest are using these four.

I almost didn't believe the two with caps are used in the game when I imported them, even though I've already seen them all over the place. They're shorter, they have very strange texturing and I almost dismissed them as early development models that they forgot in the files.

[corpseheads.jpg expired]

66ef38d83fe03voodoo47

66ef38d83fe4f
that's why they cannot overdo the polycount and detail. it would be even more obvious.

66ef38d8400c0RocketMan

66ef38d840112

Luckily we have a new importer/exporter for ai-meshes which makes this work a little bit less messy.

what's this??

66ef38d840379ZylonBane

66ef38d8403ce
Now I kind of want a cap model, just to scatter a few around. Like, the VB crew are all issued caps as part of their official uniform, but almost nobody actually wears them.

They're shorter, they have very strange texturing and I almost dismissed them as early development models that they forgot in the files.
You're half right. They are early models. In the gamesys hierarchy they're under "Old Corpses".
« Last Edit: 03. October 2022, 22:56:08 by Moderator »
Acknowledged by: sarge945

66ef38d84074celdrone

66ef38d840781
RocketMan
We had this issue of characters ending up with short legs when imported from the game, and I've seen this issue in various other places where people import the ai-meshes, including the most recent rebirth models being almost a head shorter than the vanilla models, possibly from importing, making changes and re-exporting without noticing the character shrunk.

I also didn't want to deal with the planes for rigging a character, so it's an armature and proper weightpainting now, there's also the ability to import the animations into blender to better preview the rigging.

As an example, the worm on the new hybrids are more segmented and needs to deform properly as the hybrid turns their head, which would've been impossible to do in a good way before:
[assassin.jpg expired]
[headrigging.jpg expired]

66ef38d840816voodoo47

66ef38d84086a
better AI mesh tools would be a godsend.

66ef38d840933ZylonBane

66ef38d84098f
If memory serves, the reason the Rebirth human models were shorter was because the author wanted their head to be closer to the player's camera view. Never agreed with that decision. Anyway, leg-shrinking is a new one.

66ef38d840aadvoodoo47

66ef38d840afa
yes to the Rebirth models height, and the legs do like to break with the current tools, it seems.

also, since you (eldrone) are apparently working on the EE AI meshes, I'll pop the request here as well (originally posted on discord) - please, if possible, the shotgun hybrid's shotgun stub should be a subobject, to ensure compatibility with mods. I can attach the modified vanilla model if reference is necessary.

66ef38d840f4fRocketMan

66ef38d840fa2
RocketMan
We had this issue of characters ending up with short legs when imported from the game, and I've seen this issue in various other places where people import the ai-meshes, including the most recent rebirth models being almost a head shorter than the vanilla models, possibly from importing, making changes and re-exporting without noticing the character shrunk.

I also didn't want to deal with the planes for rigging a character, so it's an armature and proper weightpainting now, there's also the ability to import the animations into blender to better preview the rigging.

As an example, the worm on the new hybrids are more segmented and needs to deform properly as the hybrid turns their head, which would've been impossible to do in a good way before:
But you still use the 3dstobin front-end to bring them back into dark?  I've had problems in the past with unknown errors trying to bring models into the game and spent hours bringing pieces of the model in to see where the defect was.  An alternative method for importation would be great but what you're showing above is also very handy... I just don't know if I can use it personally because it involves blender and 2 words you mentioned that I never heard of, which means I'm not educated enough in 3d modelling techniques to know what I'm doing with that tool.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Look at you, hacker: a ____ creature of meat and bone!  (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
In Gothra village, the girls’ sit-in finally notched a small victory.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66ef38d8444da