Page: « 1 [2]
66ee3a0f5a081
3 Guests are here.

Topic: making dml via exports
Read 1656 times  

66ee3a0f5a70cTheHEXy

66ee3a0f5a77d
well i dont really get what you did so ill keep looking at it and prob just do the dml my way and test to see if it works. i wonder if itd be easier to just hard edit the scp5 gamesys instead

66ee3a0f5a955voodoo47

66ee3a0f5a9a5
hard edits are easier if you need to do something quickly, and very difficult when you need to update your mod later, as you have found out.

dml mod is difficult to put together, but once it exists, any future updates are a breeze, as you just need to edit a txt file a little bit. choose your poison wisely.

just start to work and share your code, we'll tell you whether you are doing it right or not.

66ee3a0f5ac60ZylonBane

66ee3a0f5acb6
hard edits are easier if you need to do something quickly want to make your mod incompatible with every other mod that uses a custom gamesys.
FTFY.

66ee3a0f5ad5dvoodoo47

66ee3a0f5adac
he already found out the hard way, but guess no harm in reminding him in one very clear sentence.

so yeah, if you want to make your mod public at some point, don't do hard edits. if not, sure, do whatever and then bear the consequences once SCP gets updated..

66ee3a0f5ae7cZylonBane

66ee3a0f5aee5
At this point, I flat-out wouldn't use a minor mod that replaced the gamesys. First, lord only knows what other things it changes besides what it claims to. Second, a full replacement gamesys instead of a DML would convey a lack of competence by the modder.
Acknowledged by: voodoo47
66ee3a0f5b084
i dont know how to export or get dml for my gamesys variables. fall damage and player speed. psi cost. agility speed

why the redundancy in armor? we have armor effects which mulitplies damages by 0.__ percent in armor effects, then we have in the physical armor you can set its mitigation values in there too. which one do i edit to change mitigation amounts
« Last Edit: 24. July 2024, 10:10:36 by TheHEX »

66ee3a0f5b13avoodoo47

66ee3a0f5b187
aha, gamesys variables. will have to check that. //here we go.
« Last Edit: 24. July 2024, 11:01:12 by voodoo47 »
66ee3a0f5b278
got it

how do i:

1 decrease enemies response time to view the player, and for beginning attack after seeing? in the AI core vision description?

2 i forgot the other

66ee3a0f5b32avoodoo47

66ee3a0f5b375
yes, if you want less responsive AIs, then limiting their vision and hearing is a good way of doing it. but once they spot you, I don't think you can slow them down, they will attack.
66ee3a0f5c1c0
no im trying to make them faster in those regards. also how to i ensure that enemies will attack at long ranges like in the mall?

66ee3a0f5c2a0voodoo47

66ee3a0f5c2fa
then look for the timewarp prop.

explore AI/Ranged Combat props if you want to modify ranged behavior.
66ee3a0f5c4de
yea i kow of those ones they seem pretty limited it only says min distance, ideal distance, firing delay 0 (would negative do anything?) cover desire. (they dont take cover though?) decay speed? fire while moving. (does this screw up their animations by firing without using a firing animation + walking?. contain projectile? dont know what many of those actually are meant to do.

what about ai acuity in chunks? trying to make them see me faster and further. looking at the acuity is confusing as many of them under lighting are set to 0 right next to a high number like 20. for example. light only lighting 20, then right under it light only movement and exposure are 0.

oh also im looking to add the sparks to bullet impact and i think i know how ok, but do you have any ideas on the name for the desired effect? because the list is huge. also smoke and sparks to my muzzleflashes at the gun muzzle? im planning on just adding in the link like the muzzleflash sprite is linked and presumably it will spawn the smoke and sparks from the muzzle as it does for the flash, and then the physics options should be in the link, but i need to add a new one under SFX to give it unique physics characteristics? ok so i just added smoke blast to the muzzle and its ok looking. dont know what to use for the impact sparks though.

is there a way to make it so the casings dont sit all in a perfect line and are all sticky on the ground? so they bounce around more?
« Last Edit: 25. July 2024, 09:03:11 by TheHEX »

66ee3a0f5c5c8voodoo47

66ee3a0f5c614
yes, they should be randomized in the last SCP. if you are still working with b3, you probably should stop.

as for the rest, either explore what can be done yourself (SCPb5 setups should be a good reference) or check the Thief wiki. ain't nobody going to pull your chestnuts out of the fire for you.
66ee3a0f5c702
thats funny because there have been large projects and collaborations but i guess im not in the little club  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

66ee3a0f5c7d7voodoo47

66ee3a0f5c824
at this point you should have all the info you need, start sharing the dmls if you want them to be checked.

I mean sure, I can just take everything over and do the work myself, but where's the point in that?
66ee3a0f5cafd
dude no one is asking you to do their work for them. you are are equating informing someone about game mechanics and editing, to doing their work for them. doing their work for them consists of actually making the edited files yourself and then sending them dml. that is not whats happening. lets not be intellectually dishonest. this is presumably a community of sorts, of modding system shock... it should be absolutely acceptable and expected that senior developers can and should inform new modders on HOW they would go about, in generalized terms, implementing their desired changes. it would be virtually IMPOSSIBLE for me to do EVERYTHING alone. take a recent occurrence for example... i changed the monsters fire while moving to often, because i thought it would increase the difficulty by having them play out their shoot animation with the top half of their bodies, while walking with their legs and chasing me... and i changed it for all the monsters because i saw no foreseeable issue with using an option that is provided in the editor as a core gameplay mechanic... and what did i find? it broke my monsters ranged combat ability. now i must go back and be delayed DAYS by trying to fix this SINGLE problem, not to mention all of the other problems and changes yet unfinished. if i were to do this completely alone and use troubleshooting and trial and error to make all of the desired changes... it would take a ridiculous and unrealistic amount of time... seems quite unnecessary and unrealistic considering the scope of advanced engine and editor knowledge that some people here have... to simply just shoot a mere couple of lines on each question as to where something is or what i need to add, etc. take for example, adding venom to a bite. you could just say "go to the monsters page and in the stims section you add venom blabla and 1 equals 1 tox application. there is nothing wrong with this and i really think the members of this community need to step up their game in helping new modders get their foot in the door here with their mods and becoming a contributing member. no one can contribute anything if they cant understand anything, dont have the time to do endless trial and error experimentation, and are constantly shut down by senior modders when seeking help. honestly i have always gotten the feeling that this forum is a closed group where only a few select people help each other and collaborate and all of us peasants are up shit creek.
66ee3a0f5ccaa
so on another note... we are determining that my scp3 mod is causing even more problems potentially with the current scp5 version? based on the fact that you informed me that some unspecified by you setting has been randomized in your current scp5 version... not sure which settings youre referring to. so im wondering if i need to start over from scratch by modifying the scp5 gamesys then exporting dml and pasting it all together again after i just finished doing all of it for my scp3 mod based dml. but do i really need to do this? for example couldnt i have just made my mod from the original shock2.gam instead of using scp3 as a base initially, and wouldnt all of the changes still be applicable and compatible with the current version of scp5? are you saying that some or possibly any older based mods might be broken or incompatible with scp5 due to the fact that scp5 has cleaned up and randomized and moved around etc... many game sys settings? all future mods should or must be based on the current scp version? can i just carry on with finalizing my scp3 based dml? i will post it soon, there are some inconsistencies in monster behavior settings and projectile velocities i must hunt down.

66ee3a0f5cdc6voodoo47

66ee3a0f5ce13
depends on what you want to do in the end, how much shortcuts you want to take, how much of your previous work are you willing to discard etc.

so, ideally, you would just scrap everything and start making a SCPb5+ dml mod from scratch. note - a dml mod made for SCP will NOT be compatible with the vanilla game without additional code (and vice versa). I always construct mods primarily with SCP in mind, and once done, I may add vanilla game compatibility if deemed feasible (explore the pistol hybrid mod if you need an example).

but you probably don't want to waste all your work, hence, my previous recommendation to get whatever you have exported into the dml format, and once you have a working dml, tweaking the code to be compatible with the latest SCP is relatively easy.
66ee3a0f5cefe
ok im just gonna upload it and maybe you can switch it to scp5 if its fast thing. then i will playtest it and modify it further. where should i put it

66ee3a0f5cf88voodoo47

66ee3a0f5cfd3
you are allowed to attach zip files to your posts.
66ee3a0f5d114
help my monkeys cant see me? i didnt change any vision...

it seems that the 2 monkeys in the medsci2 have a very hit or miss ability to see the player regardless of my mods running. and also the scary monsters ai mod is completely breaking their melee ability. they are freezing still as they touch me and stay that way until i move again. sometimes they just run underneath me forever without attacking
[TacticalCombatED scp5.7z expired]
« Last Edit: 28. July 2024, 05:31:43 by TheHEX »

66ee3a0f5d2e3voodoo47

66ee3a0f5d333
those two monkeys (the two that break out of the glass cages) are scripted, testing mods on scripted creatures is not a very good idea.

30 second glance at the dmls - the gamesys dml has 4200+ lines. I think you might have a bit of redundancy going on there. mission dmls are force-adding projectile links onto concretes, 99.9% sure you actually don't want to do that.

this is going to be a long shift. I would start with - what is breaking the monkeys? the gamesys dml, or the map dml? get one out of the way and find out (remember, you have to enter a map freshly if you change a map dml, loading a save from that map will not reflect the changes as the old ones are already saved into it).

here is an example of what I think you actually want to do with the monkeys (medsci2 dml) - so this
Code: [Select]
// AI->Ranged Combat->Ranged Combat
+ObjProp "Willy" "AIRCProp"
{
"Minimum Distance" 0
"Ideal Distance" 40
"Firing Delay" 0.00
"Cover Desire" "Very Low"
"Decay Speed" 0.80
"Fire While Moving" "Never"
"Contain Projectile" FALSE
}

++Link "Willy" 1359 "AIProjectile"
{
"Constraint Type" "None"
"Constraint Data" 0
"Targeting Method" "Straight-Line"
"Selection Desire" "Very High"
"Firing Delay" 0.00
"Ammo" 0
"Burst Count" 0
"Accuracy" "Very High"
"Leads Target" TRUE
"Launch Joint" "Head"
}

becomes this
Code: [Select]
Link "Willy" 1359 "AIProjectile" 02E1000C
{
"Accuracy" "Very High"
"Leads Target" TRUE
}
yes, we do like our minimal footprint around here. also notice the missing pluses - we are editing an existing link so they are not needed (one is for adding a link, two is for force adding a link even if one such link already exists). the 02E1000C code is the existing link code, this ensures the change will only be applied to that specific link. you can see it in the editor.
« Last Edit: 28. July 2024, 09:18:46 by voodoo47 »

66ee3a0f5d760sarge945

66ee3a0f5d7b5
yes, no geometry changes, nothing that need a level relight, and the physics props changes are somewhat limited.

You can do physics props changes via squirrel, but not dml.

You will need to make a "spawner" object in DML and then replace it with the real object when the game starts.

Otherwise collision will break.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

In which year was System Shock 2 released:
3 Guests are here.
He's damn opposed. Damn, damn, damn opposed.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66ee3a0f606c5