66ee3c951c53e

66ee3c951d1f2
1 Guest is here.

Topic: Is the Shockolate project dead now? Read 283 times  

66ee3c951d732
Shockolate (https://github.com/Interrupt/systemshock) hasn't been updated at all. Have the developers abandoned it?

66ee3c951d97avoodoo47

66ee3c951d9d2
as mentioned, it's in a weird limbo state where the active devs are more interested in having it run on obscure portable devices rather than putting together a solid windows build that would be useful to the average guy.

that said, looks like one guy is (finally) aiming to do that; https://github.com/MeeperTheGreat99/systemshock-enhanced/releases

I'm hoping his next release will have FMsel integrated, maybe even support for higher resolutions (I'm pushing things around a bit behind the scenes, as I tend to). the plan is to have it integrated into SSPtool once the few necessary features are in (cfgs finally in the game root now, modern resolution support would be very nice but no idea whether this is going to be in the next build, and SS2 UI interactions would be amazing but zero idea about that).

66ee3c951dc5esarge945

66ee3c951dcb9
I was going to try and fork it, but then I realised it's using CMake so I decided against it.
66ee3c951de09
Thanks for the information. I must admit, when the source code for the game was released, I did expect the hardcore fans to eventually create a sort of all-in-one package, with a fully functional Windows version that including all sorts of optional new or improved functions, higher quality textures, an option to use fan-enhanced soundtrack, a virtual reality option (System Shock would be great in VR), and whatever else talented fans could think of that would enhance the overall package.

66ee3c951dec7voodoo47

66ee3c951df16
having the source code out doesn't guarantee a proper project release. that takes more than just a guy or two poking around the code.

either way, I'll post news once I have something.

66ee3c9521630sarge945

66ee3c9521694
having the source code out doesn't guarantee a proper project release. that takes more than just a guy or two poking around the code.

Especially given the source code was for the PowerPC Macintosh version.

Part of the reason DOOM was so easy to port to other platforms was because the source code was for the DOS version. Many programmers had experience with DOS and a lot of DOOM's source is portable/platform independent C code.

My understanding of the SS1 source release is it's a labyrinth of arcane Macintosh code.

66ee3c95217d0voodoo47

66ee3c952182d
couldn't have been that bad, as Shockolate allowed you to run the game with little issue pretty much from the first (v0.5) quasi-public release (though music options are somewhat limited if I understand correctly, so if you want that soundblaster awe32 gold goodness you are probably out of luck).

I think I remember the main dev mentioning getting rid of the mac specific code wasn't that difficult, but don't quote me on that.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

How can you challenge a perfect, _____ machine? (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
You should try that - jumping off the edge of the ship into empty space and looking back at the ship as you descend into oblivion....funniest thing!
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66ee3c9524c67