66ee34d2e8be8

66ee34d2e9445
4 Guests are here.

Topic: Meetup in Germany Read 831 times  

66ee34d2e9d54RocketMan

66ee34d2e9dc4
Hey everyone.  I'm travelling to Germany for business next week and it's my first time ever in Germany so I thought it would be a good opportunity to hang out with members of the community living there.  Obviously tied up during the day but evenings would be a possibility for grabbing a drink.  I'll be in the Cologne/Aachen general area so if you're around there and want to hang for a couple of hours one day next week, give me a PM  :thumb:
66ee34d2ea01d
Aw, that sucks. I'm in Munich now and that's a fair bit away unfortunately. :-/

66ee34d2ea12cvoodoo47

66ee34d2ea179
I'm also a bit too far away. also not much of a partyboy.
66ee34d2ea2d0
Maybe someone should flash the Kolya-signal?

66ee34d2ea4a5RocketMan

66ee34d2ea4f4
Aw, that sucks. I'm in Munich now and that's a fair bit away unfortunately. :-/

I have a Volvo SC60 stick and I hear the Autobahn has no speed limit  :awesome:
« Last Edit: 25. July 2024, 01:32:48 by RocketMan »
66ee34d2ea7b2
I have a Volvo SC60 stick and I hear the Autobahn has no speed limit  :awesome:
Don't get your car guy-hopes up too much for that... There are so many stretches with all kinds of speed limits. Either that, construction sites, heavy traffic, truck drivers blocking all lanes, Klimakleber... something will slow you down more likely than not. If you really want to go fast, you better plan the time and route ahead.
« Last Edit: 25. July 2024, 19:35:39 by fox »

66ee34d2ea858RocketMan

66ee34d2ea8a3
People glue themselves to the highway?  Hmm... I might have to downshift for that.
66ee34d2ea9bd
Right now they prefer to glue themselves to the runways of airports, since summer holidays started. Too bad that you couldn't visit Germany earlier, since much that was once nice, is perceptibly in decline these days.

Edit:
Oh well... last night in France they fire bombed and sabotaged the railroad infrastructure at multiple points. In Germany that would have been pointless since nothing is working anymore anyway.
« Last Edit: 26. July 2024, 17:09:20 by fox »

66ee34d2eabceRocketMan

66ee34d2eac20
In Germany that would have been pointless since nothing is working anymore anyway.

You sure we're not talking about Canada?
66ee34d2eafc3
I might perhaps have liked to have gone (I'm not very sociable, I have very bad social anxiety, but this would no doubt be a very small meet-up, just a few harcore (and generally reasonable) fans of System Shock 2, so I might manage), but my health is not great now, so I don't travel.

Oh well... last night in France they fire bombed and sabotaged the railroad infrastructure at multiple points. In Germany that would have been pointless since nothing is working anymore anyway.

I recently watched a video about Germany's current state (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ZZ-Yni8Fg) and it really surprised me. Firstly, because I'd always heard that Germany was doing very well and was well run, and secondly because the scientist who made this video makes Germany sound even worse than England (where I was born and still live), and trust me, England is in a miserable state nowadays. I'm 53, and I have seen Britain go so far downhill in so many ways. The Britons of two or three decades ago wouldn't believe how things would be in 2024.

And I have precisely zero hope or belief that Britain will start to get better.
Acknowledged by: fox

66ee34d2eb092RocketMan

66ee34d2eb0df
If distance or trepidation to leave home is the main concern, I don't mind driving a bit, so long as it's not like 7 hours or something.  Just wanted to re-assure anyone who might be on the fence about that.
66ee34d2eb25c
@JDoran: Although it's mainly human stupidity and corruption that are causing it, maybe there's some truth to the Strauss–Howe generational theory.

@RocketMan: Sorry for getting so offtopic there. Still enough there to enjoy, so don't let me kill the mood for you.

66ee34d2eb323RocketMan

66ee34d2eb36f
The streets here are pretty lively at night for a Monday.  I could get used to this... although with time being limited it's more of a tease.
66ee34d2eb5cb
Unfortunately I'm in Hamburg right now for work. Otherwise I could have skipped over to you.
If you happen to pass through hamburg we could meet up in the evening.

66ee34d2eb6fctiphares4

66ee34d2eb74f
and i am in bremen, othwerwise could have made a system shock party - in dark cellar with funky music..  & chips, vodka, champagne & soda    :3

66ee34d2eb7deRocketMan

66ee34d2eb828
Well at least I know where all you guys are now.  Next time!
66ee34d2eb8fa
What are your impressions of Germany, so far?

66ee34d2eba16RocketMan

66ee34d2eba61
Seems a lot like Canada actually except with culture, more women outside and see-thru clothing.  Driving is mostly like Canada too but dumber because of the erratically changing speed limits, tiny traffic lights way up in the sky where you can't see them, traps everywhere and other oddities that makes it hard to figure out what's going on.  Food is good but not as easy as some other countries for someone with a basic pallet like mine.  I liked schnizel, bratwurst and goulash.  Beer was definitely good and plenty of variety.  Everybody spoke English.  Dudes from work were cool to hang out with at night.

I can't form a really good opinion from 1 small area and 1 week of duration but I guess it felt rather familiar and I could see more pros than cons and wouldn't mind living there as an alternative to Canada.
66ee34d2ebb7c
Thanks! Although it's relatively small, the diffferent areas of Germany can indeed feel and look surprisingly different in many regards. You are of course right, that a final opinion cannot be formed at this point but it's always interesting to hear first impressions. I haven't been to Canada yet but media always makes it sound way more central/western european than the US - unsurprisingly, given the French influence.
« Last Edit: 04. August 2024, 08:08:49 by fox »

66ee34d2ebc5aRocketMan

66ee34d2ebca7
True, that has undoubtedly contributed to the current landscape but the French influence is fairly localized to Quebec and even they don't try to emulate their Parisian ancestors.  They've formed a new culture.  I've always felt that the rest of the English-speaking population is simply more moderate and relaxed than the US and may explain why we split from them in the first place after settling North America.  That might be why Canada appears to have more in common with Europe than the US.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and ____!  (Fill in the missing word):
4 Guests are here.
And good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck, good luck. I heard you needed some.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66ee34d2ecb04