66ee375721237

66ee375721a6c
1 Guest is here.

66ee3757222caZylonBane

66ee375722373
I've recently discovered that there's a string file in System Shock 2 that needs to be updated to include the "friendly" names of some new control binds added by NewDark.

The file that needs to be updated is INTRFACE/CONTROLS.STR. The lines that need to be added are:
Code: [Select]
mouse_wheel_down:"Mouse Wheel Down"
mouse_wheel_up:"Mouse Wheel Up"
mouse5:"Mouse 5"
Without these lines, when the user maps any of the above in Customize Controls, it displays the internal keybind name, which isn't great.

Also, in the vanilla game character MFD, rolling the mouse over the bottom buttons only displays "These buttons navigate between various character MFDs." when the STATS or PSI tabs are selected, not the TECH or CMBT tabs. To fix this, these lines must be added to SKILLHELP.STR:
Tech5:"These buttons navigate between various character MFDs."
Weapon4:"These buttons navigate between various character MFDs."
For translation, these lines will be identical to what's already in STATHELP.STR, Text9 and PSIHELP.STR, BuyText3. This isn't a NewDark change, it's just something Irrational accidentally left out.

Likewise, another oversight causes the names of researched items to not display at the top of the Research panel as they're supposed to. This can be fixed by adding the following lines to RESEARCH.STR:
ResRepName1:"Hybrid Organ"
ResRepName3:"Midwife Organ"
ResRepName4:"Grub Organ"
ResRepName5:"Anti-Annelid Toxin"
ResRepName6:"WormBlood Implant"
ResRepName7:"Crystal Shard"
ResRepName8:"Psi Booster"
ResRepName9:"Swarm Pod Organ"
ResRepName10:"Rumbler Organ"
ResRepName11:"WormMind Implant"
ResRepName13:"Arachnid Organ"
ResRepName14:"Psi Reaver Organ"
ResRepName15:"WormBlend Implant"
ResRepName16:"Viral Proliferator"
ResRepName17:"WormSkin Armor"
ResRepName19:"Greater Psi Reaver Organ"
ResRepName20:"WormHeart Implant"
ResRepName21:"Annelid Launcher"
ResRepName22:"Monkey Brain"
ResRepName23:"Annelid Healing Gland"
ResRepName24:"Annelid Psi Organ"
These will be identical to ReportName1 - 24 already in the same file. Also in the vanilla strings, ResRepText14 and ResRepText19 are missing "Summary:" at beginning.

The above have already been fixed in SCP, but that won't help anyone who's running a translation mod. So I'm posting this to raise awareness among the translation mod maintainers. Unfortunately we don't seem to have a centralized list of all SS2 translations, so I can only go by what searching the mod forum for "translation" brings up, which is:

Actually now that I look at these threads, it appears very few of the mod authors are present on these forums. We may have to take matters into our own hands for some of these.

66ee375722515voodoo47

66ee375722599
I will take care of the CZ translation. been delaying this for way too long (the current translation actually was made to fit b5, but that build of b5 didn't get released in the end).
66ee37572293f
I will handle it together with the next SCP update. Thankfully, vacation is coming up soon. :)

66ee375722a8aZylonBane

66ee375722ae8
Something else translators could add by default is strings for the Quest Note Notifiers mod, since it seems rather popular. The localized strings go in MISC.STR and are:
- NoteNew:"Note added to PDA." (same grammar as LogPickup:"Log %s added to PDA.").
- NoteAdded:"Note"
- NoteComplete:"Complete"

Also HUD Logs uses the string FakeCookie in OBJSHORT.STR. This is an SCP addition. The string is:
- FakeCookie:"Cyber modules"

HUD Logs uses this string as the subject line when Sholito sends you cyber modules.

66ee375722ba6voodoo47

66ee375722bfb
done (tested quickly, all looks good), and CZ translation updated silently. because I'm evil like that. sorry, 8 people who already downloaded 0.99beta.

also yeah, the quest notifiers are pretty damn popular, actually.
« Last Edit: 03. September 2024, 18:47:14 by voodoo47 »

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

How can you ____ a perfect, immortal machine? (Fill in the missing word):
1 Guest is here.
You gotta love technology.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66ee3757269d3