Page: « 1 [2]
66f776c249499
3 Guests are here.

Topic: Better Weapon Info test
Read 679 times  

66f776c249a16ZylonBane

66f776c249a91
Another note: It's impossible for scripts to tell whether a certain stat change was brought about by Modify 1 or Modify 2 or even Modify at all. All it can do is compare the concrete stats with the archetype stats and see "Yup, these are different."
66f776c249e67
The viral proliferator can break at 25% condition. All others break in the 10% - 20% range. It's such a minor distinction it hardly seems worth exposing. Players should basically assume that any weapon in the red is about to break.

Speaking as someone who is very unobservant, I didn't know that - I think I always assumed that the weapons broke at 1%, certainly not anywhere in the teens. I've never used the viral proliferator, though, but I think I would have assumed that it too broke when it reached the 1% point. Or is there an in-game recorded or written message that points out the vulnerable design of the viral proliferator that means it can fail at 25%?

Also, in vanilla all weapons degrade at the same rate regardless of fire mode.

I didn't know that, either. It does seem more logical that more 'violent' ('violent' as in say weapons involving an explosion to shoot bullets or pellets) weapons would degrade quicker than a weapon that shoots electrical EMP energy.  Well, I think so anyway.

66f776c249f5fZylonBane

66f776c249fac
(SIGH)

I didn't mean that all weapons degrade at the same rate as each other. If that were the case why would I display a degradation rate stat at all? I meant that changing fire mode does not change the degradation rate of that weapon.

66f776c24a4e9sarge945

66f776c24a538
The viral proliferator can break at 25% condition. All others break in the 10% - 20% range. It's such a minor distinction it hardly seems worth exposing. Players should basically assume that any weapon in the red is about to break.

Since this isn't documented anywhere, and since the entire point of this mod is to make weapon stats available and accessible, I would highly recommend adding this.

That's already in there, as the "Reliability" stat. A gun showing 99% reliability means it loses 1% condition per shot. Also, in vanilla all weapons degrade at the same rate regardless of fire mode. Mode-dependent degradation actually requires script fuckery; it's not natively supported by the engine.

I read Reliability as "chance of breaking when at low condition" rather than "condition reduction per shot". At the bare minimum this should be renamed.

As for "all weapons degrading at the same rate", it's up to you whether you think that it's worthwhile making this as compatible with other mods as possible. You already stated in this thread you want to make it compatible with RSD, which does change condition per shot (at least for the laser pistol), so the stat should be there.

Maintenance tools improve a gun's condition by a flat +10 * Maintenance skill. It's not a per-gun stat.

True, but it's still useful information to have anyway. We already have certain mods (like RSD) where condition improvement is based on the difference between the maintenance requirements and your current skill level, which will make it differ per gun.

66f776c24a6aeZylonBane

66f776c24a704
Okay, so say there's a theoretical "verbose" mode that displays exactly what goes into each bonus. The most troublesome would be the damage readout. Damage is calculated (on the delivery side), as:

base damage (sum of all damage stims on weapon projectile or corpse)
   x damage multiplier for current weapon mode (can be increased by modification)
   x 1.0 + ((player weapon skill - required weapon skill) * 0.15
   x 1.15 (if Sharpshooter installed)

So this would have to display:
- base damage (completely unmodded damage)
- amount multiplier has been increased by modding
- label the increase as from modding
- multiplier if weapon skill is beyond minimum level
- label the multiplier as from weapon skill
- multiplier if Sharpshooter installed
- label the multiplier as from Sharpshooter
- actual damage value
- total percent increase
- all necessary punctuation to tie this together in a comprehensible way

Maybe something like this?
  Damage: 10.1 (+152%) (4 +25% modded, +75% skill, +15% Sharpshooter)

(Yes the percentages are actually being multiplied, not literally added. But they're "additional" multipliers so it's, uhh... colloquial math.)

66f776c24a7c5sarge945

66f776c24a811
Can you use multiple lines?

Something like

Code: [Select]
  Damage: 10.1 (+152%)
    Base: 8
    Fire Mode Bonus: +0%
    Modification Lvl 2: +25%, +25%
    Skill Bonus: +75%
    Sharpshooter: +15%
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:34:01 by sarge945 »

66f776c24a8b1ZylonBane

66f776c24a937
I remind you that it's impossible to determine exactly what changes Modify 1 and 2 made, because those changes are made by code.

Your name:
This box must be left blank:

In which year was System Shock 2 released:
3 Guests are here.
Such a thrill to be here
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66f776c24b086