66ee3c9b6a908

66ee3c9b6b581
5 Guests are here.

Topic: SS2 expansion pack - all in 1 Read 2969 times  

66ee3c9b6b96c

66ee3c9b6bc2dNameless Voice

66ee3c9b6bc93
All those file, and generally better / more recent versions, are already available here, with the consent of their respective authors.
Did you ask permission from the authors of these mods before compiling this package?
66ee3c9b6bdd4
iXDave, I'm sure you mean well but we only collect original resources here.
66ee3c9b6bf53
Hi,
I read your replay on my post... Of course I didnt ask for any permission. Is it needed? The pack contains free accessible downloads of all about SS2 on the net. I think the idea is to be here for people who are fans of SS2, like me, isn't it? This is the way to give people a chance to play "better" SS2 because they cannot install it, to someone its dificult. Be sure I know what I'm talking about... :). Every part of this pack is there as it was released by author inclusive his naming and links etc (they all are named). I didn't change anything. I made only installers for easy install and I put it all in one file... It isn't done for comercial use. Everything is done in GNU idea :).
Are you author of any part? Don't you want to be there in the pack?
DAVE
« Last Edit: 13. September 2007, 12:47:17 by iXDave »
66ee3c9b6c202
iXDave, I'm sure you mean well but we only collect original resources here.

OK, It wasn't good idea :). Where it will be better?
66ee3c9b6c5ce
I meant on SBF we only collect original work. I have spoken with the authors of the mods available here and asked for their permission every time. That is before I put their work up. Read the Uploading Guide and you will get a better idea of what I mean.
Now apart from the missing author's agreements this expansion contains outdated modifications, mods that are doubled, it lacks documentation and it has incomplete resources. The documentation included is saved threads from SBF and TTLG. None of it is your own work.

You see, what we try to do here, is to provide up-to-date modifications, with the latest documentation. Many threads are continously updated. And we try to present it all in an easily accessible way, eg everyone can download the current version of SHTUP here, or look up the latest info and help on multiplayer. No registration, no other bullshit.

We already do provide a "way to give people a chance to play "better" SS2" and help them with installation problems or any other problems.
There is a value to the what we do here. Not just for us but for others too. For example we have an established workflow for users: It starts at the Mod User FAQ over the SS2Tool and the Modmanager installation and finally the mods themselves. We do that so users have the least troubles getting their game to run and get the best out of it, according to what mods they prefer.

You can't simply zip that up and call it a day. If it was that easy, don't you think, we'd done it a long time ago?
Of course, since everything here is provided for free we can't keep you from throwing some of our downloads together and putting it up somewhere. But it isn't helpful, as I believe was your intention.
In fact I cringe at the thought of people coming here, saying they downloaded this and that SS2 expansion (You're by far not the first to do one.) and it doesn't work for some reason. And they will even think it's my fault or some mod's fault because they read some old saved thread instead of reading the current version online.
Questions come up whichever way you do it, but when people get their stuff here, we at least know what they have and can help. We can't give support for everyone's idea of an "expansion pack" though. And we don't do it.

Finally iXDave, if you really want to help people with SS2, feel free to post on this board any new findings, problems or what have you. That would do shockers all around a better service.
« Last Edit: 05. October 2008, 20:58:51 by Kolya »
66ee3c9b6c7b7
...the true is, I feel like a little schoolboy now...:)
Thank you for your comprehensive answer, I can have look at it from the other side now. I have to say I agree with everything you wrote. Yes I just read the Uploading Guide too :). You know, my first idea was to serve complete information about solving troubles with SS2 on winxp, installing, FMs etc. I spent a lot of time on net, forums...to get some results so I know it put off people to play the game. When I started to work on this package it seemed there will be nothing new, everybody looked forward to Bioshock. On the other side a lot of people (my friends) suddenly wanted to play the game, earlier than Bioshock. What now? Unfortunately it turned out bad, because I put the package on net up to this month... And today? new SHTUP, FMs, Modmanager ...SS2 is still alive, everybody speaks about SS2 ...thanks to Bioshock above all :bluegrin: That's great! No worth to do your job that you do excellently :) So remove the link please, but I still think it could be good thing to make some package by type ALLINONE for novice and others. By more interested people, like you are (or SHTUP people...). Or at least to make some more "readable" place for all not for  "advanced fans" accessible through search engines...So I think that's all I wanted to write at this time.

Your shocker fan DAVE... :)
66ee3c9b6c985
Inspired by this thread we spoke about the possibility of a unified mod pack yesterday on IRC. What we thought about was a Modmanager that comes prepackaged with all mods... The thing is, as you just noted yourself, it would be pretty hard to keep it up to date and upload those big mod packs every time wouldn't be much fun either.
SBF and what is on it takes up quite a bit of our valuable gaming time already. And I think we provide a way, so that even the not so "advanced" fans can get up a nice game. It does take a bit of reading on the user's side admittedly. But you wouldn't really get around that with a mod pack either. ("Huh? Why don't these mods work together?! Why can we not connect in multiplayer??" etc.) If things are unclear everyone is also free to ask questions. In some cases it helps to make things better.
We are only a small community with limited resources, but yeah, we're alive. ;)
5 Guests are here.
"As opposed to pirates of the air."
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66ee3c9b6d085