66ee98f8d5dd0

66ee98f8d666f
3 Guests are here.

66ee98f8d6f4dQuindorrian

Re: System Shock Remake Feedback Request - Night Dive Studios
66ee98f8d6fc1
I think what Hikari and Dazzle said are great and I can't agree more.  I just ask that you please don't make this Windows only.  I prefer OS X and there are also plenty of Linux guys that are huge fans of the series.  It is frustrating for me that I can't get System Shock 1 enhanced on OS X right now, so please remember that there are plenty of Mac fans of the System Shock series.  Not sure if this has been said, but please avoid the urge to push a dumbed down console version for $$$. 

But, in general, I couldn't be more thrilled that you guys are working on this.  Please see it through.  You need crowd funding, please do post the link and I will donate.  Would love to buy a collector's edition of this!
66ee98f8d7138
the only feedback i can give  is what i saw in the pre-alpha video

this so claimed ss1 remake is like a mix of Hard Reset and Bioshock

im starting to feel disappointed...
66ee98f8d73cf
Don't take it at face value. Mentioning Bioshock is wise for marketing purposes. When they say they are taking a Bioshock approach in terms of a horror vibe, that likely means they're taking a System Shock 2 approach. I could be wrong but I trust them, strange as that may be given the whole SS2Tool event and general frequent disappointing burns from the industry as a whole. If you look at the design from the video and Nightdive's approach to certain things (such as this very thread) it looks like this may be the one we have been waiting for.
« Last Edit: 15. March 2016, 17:38:21 by Kolya »
Acknowledged by 2 members: Hikari, callum13117
66ee98f8d759c
I must agree with xerxes. The pre-alpha video doesn't look very promising. I'm quite disappointed and my expectations were not very high after the screenshots.
66ee98f8d790a
I must agree with xerxes. The pre-alpha video doesn't look very promising. I'm quite disappointed and my expectations were not very high after the screenshots.
Would be more constructive, if you'd elaborate a bit on what you didn't like.
Acknowledged by 2 members: RocketMan, Join usss!
66ee98f8d7a6c
Maybe I will. Pretty sure it won't matter though. Mostly same things I already said about the screenshots before on another thread.

66ee98f8d7c6dvoodoo47

66ee98f8d7cc6
remember, this is pre-alpha. right now, it maybe shows the engine, the artistic direction, and the way levels will be reworked. so no use worrying over things like too much glittering things. yet.

the final game, or even a beta, will most likely be very different - remember the SS2 beta?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdB3ZCFRRZQ

jump to 2:12 to see the gameplay.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Colonel SFF, Hikari

66ee98f8d7e62Nameless Voice

66ee98f8d7eba
That looks pretty close to the final game, apart from some dated graphics.

I love how they actually show the player looting the editor-only playtest gear crate at the start of the Command deck.
66ee98f8d81d7
Ahh, good old times where game trailers showed actual gameplay for more than three seconds.
Acknowledged by: Join usss!

66ee98f8d8302laserbrain

66ee98f8d835a
SS1 was my first love on pc (the guy who sold the 486 dx 2/80 to me included the game)
Still prefer SS1 over the sequel. Love the video and would definitely contribute to a kickstarter campaign.
What I would like to see in the remake would be, the option to use the original controls (free mouse cursor etc ) and the difficulty customisation from the original.

Please make this (project) happen
Thumbs up.!

66ee98f8d84abhemebond

66ee98f8d8506
I hope this entire thread gets ignored. What a mess.
66ee98f8d86a2
[clint_eastwood_disgusted.gif expired]

66ee98f8d8766LaineyBugsDaddy

66ee98f8d87c1
Obvious troll is obvious. Lets just ignore him instead.
66ee98f8d8937
Hehe, that's no troll, that's Heme!  :awesome: He's actually an oldtimer, collected the psi skills and other things.

66ee98f8d8a03LaineyBugsDaddy

66ee98f8d8a5b
So what, then? This is his version of "Hey you rotten kids! Get off my lawn!" then?
66ee98f8d8b7b
No, I'm just saying that he's not trolling.  It's his actual opinion which he is entitled to. Wether it's useful to the debate is another question.
66ee98f8d8e24
Oh Kay then. We have footage of pre-alpha state. Needs polish but it's pre-alpha (How in the blazes do you get BEFORE alpha level work on a project, anybody that does programming able to answer?) Even if they mostly keep the level geomatry as template it looks different enough to be fun.

I would sorta like a few things like Repair, Research, and maybe a few other skills to be backported from Shock2 either as learnables or things you just 'Do.' Things to help tie the two games together better. If a Shock2 remake were to happen this could be more easily done, but right now going off the idea we'll get Shock1 remake, classic shock2, System Shock3. I want it to feel like the cyber-rig isn't completely and wildly different between the three without at least a little justification, and some of shock2's gameplay wouldn't be a bad addition.

Ah who am I kidding. Nightdive got their first couple pages worth and at best some unpaid intern is having to keep tabs on the place.
66ee98f8d932d
[...] it's pre-alpha (How in the blazes do you get BEFORE alpha level work on a project, anybody that does programming able to answer?)

Pre-alpha describes the phase before software testing starts.
And even before that is prototyping, where most parts just get ugly coded to merely work, to show of and check out the mechanics of what could be.
(In most cases all of the codes get's scrapped from prototyping.)
Acknowledged by: Nameless Voice
66ee98f8d9483
Can you also please release the source code to System Shock 2/Thief? NewDark is a wonderful thing, but opening up the engine further would be amazing for cross-platform support and further engine upgrades.
Acknowledged by: icemann

66ee98f8d95cdicemann

66ee98f8d962c
Second that.
Acknowledged by: Hikari

66ee98f8d972bvoodoo47

66ee98f8d9781
the problem is that the engine itself (and also the thief part of the source) is still Squeenix property, afaik. wrenching it out their hands is not going to be easy.
66ee98f8d9999
This is another reason to go with a remake of Shock2 using the new Shock1 engine (especially if they o mac/linux ports, which should be doable because unity.) Their engine, not someone else's, or dependant on a random unknown saviour group.

I get it though, even if you managed a tool to export unstripped level architecture that's still work that needs to be done that takes from elsewhere (underworld, ss1, ss3, etc,) the fact not all the levels are avalible unstripped, and then the process of actually making it all happen.

Though at the same time you could bake in things we'd done as new default behaviors (secmod's additions here we come!)

My fear though is no editor so no mods/fan missions. However if an editor gets released and all three games are effectively on the same engine, it'd be (in theory) fairly straightforward to port assets from one to the next to the next. So you'd have actual citadel enemies in the 'Where am I?' level section along with props and such.

66ee98f8da513ZylonBane

66ee98f8da576
This is another reason to go with a remake of Shock2 using the new Shock1 engine (especially if they o mac/linux ports, which should be doable because unity.) Their engine, not someone else's, or dependant on a random unknown saviour group.
How do you figure Unity is "their" engine?
66ee98f8da6f3
Unity itself is generalist, but what they're doing might make it difficult to port over/update after they drop support. When i say 'their engine' I refer to the bits that make just dumping assets into unity and hitting run not work.
3 Guests are here.
They aren’t going to come to you; it doesn’t work that way.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66ee98f8daf61