66ef3b7e5ace5

66ef3b7e5b8e2
4 Guests are here.

Topic: SSR The System Shock demo is OUT!
Page: « 1 2 [3] 4 ... 13 »
Read 26491 times  

Re: The System Shock (Reboot) demo is OUT!
66ef3b7e5c6b6
What I feel we have shaping up with this System Shock "Remaster" is a shameless cash-grab, by those who had literally NOTHING to do with the creation of this revered classic, yet are expressly exploiting that reputation for their own gain.

Isn't that a tad hyperbolic?
66ef3b7e5c94d
Bash and bitch as you like, it is your money after all, but it comes off as raising a stink that they dared make changes more than anything else you old goat.

I'd definitely back if I had a rig with the nuts for it.

As is based on watching competent players play the demo;

I like that you can put items back in the boxes they come out of. This helps in setting up caches you can fall back to.

I'm... starting to grow not quite hating the inventory except 'how do I grenade?'

Unsure on the puzzle and keypad mechanics.

As I stated in the polygon thread i hate how bright the light bits are compared to the surroundings. It messes with my eyes since 'BRIGHT THING RIGHT THERE IN SEA OF DARK.'

I like rebecca's VA. Her script? No. Can it, redo.

Speed up the item get animations and they might be good. As is they feel just slightly too long to not feel gratuitous.

66ef3b7e5cbf0Synaesthesia

• Company: Night Dive Studios
66ef3b7e5cc43
>Just played through the "demo"; some quick observations:

Fun fact: putting demo in quotes doesn't change the fact that it is indeed a demo.

Your observations have been noted. I'm sure they'll get around to changing figuratively everything to suit someone who has no intention of supporting the development.

>- I couldn't figure out what power level the physical switch indicator of the sparq corresponded to, man do I miss the original UI

Yeah, I find it hard to tell the difference between color-coded dots too. I guess it just needs to be spelled out for me, otherwise the game just isn't dumbed down enough.

>I must say, I'm philosophically opposed to the approach of Night Dive Studios in general-

Yeah I am too, I *really* hate that NDS was able to resurrect my favorite game into a faithful recreation of what it could've been had it been made today. How dare they turn a profit in doing something they love!

> I was struck by the distinct and immediate impression that this game is inferior in practically all meaningful ways to the original

I'm not one to immediately ZylonBane a conversation, but honestly, your post could've been summed up as "I hate everything new that looks like the old game! Cater to my indeterminate whims, you corporate whores! Don't do it for profit though!"
Acknowledged by: Hikari

66ef3b7e5cefeZylonBane

66ef3b7e5cf54
I can't wait for ZylonBane to arrive at this thread, and rage about the new reboot only since it's new!
I guess I don't have to wait for you to act as dumb as a sack of hammers, because you're already done that.

66ef3b7e5d07cDKDArtagnan

66ef3b7e5d0d1
Considering it's pre-alpha, I think it's very impressive.

It feels like a real game already - and the controls are much more comfortable. I think they made the right choice in terms of sticking with a simpler lean/crouch system - though they really should add a prone key too.

That said, I'm not a big fan of the textures - as they seem strangely low-res, and maybe that's deliberate. But that's not how you do a modern remake, in my opinion.

Beyond that, it looks like we'll be getting a pretty faithful remake with significant upgrades to visuals and a streamlined control system. That alone is worth it to me, and anything on top - I will consider a bonus.

For purists - there's already an enhanced edition out there.

66ef3b7e5d1b8ZylonBane

66ef3b7e5d20c
So it's not just my system that's showing no filtering on any of the textures, right?

66ef3b7e5d314voodoo47

66ef3b7e5d361
nope, same for everyone.

66ef3b7e5d404chickenhead

66ef3b7e5d44f
The real question is, is that an art decision, a financial decision, or something they will fix when they have the funding?

66ef3b7e5d6a0ZylonBane

66ef3b7e5d6f4
BTW, if you dig down into \systemshockdemo_Data\StreamingAssets\Audio\GeneratedSoundBanks\Windows and open any of the .json files, you'll see from the folder paths that the internal name for this project is "SystemReShock".

The real question is, is that an art decision, a financial decision, or something they will fix when they have the funding?
WTF, no it isn't that question. Texture filtering is just a switch in the renderer. It doesn't take any money or even time to turn on.

66ef3b7e5d7afchickenhead

66ef3b7e5d7fa
I'm going to be referring to this game as that name.

They dropped the "remastered," so how else are we gonna differentiate it from the classic?

66ef3b7e5d89dvoodoo47

66ef3b7e5d8eb
let that be the official unofficial name for the reboot from now on.

66ef3b7e5d9a9ZylonBane

66ef3b7e5d9f7
For the "things I hated" file: When you're on a ladder looking down and press forward... you move backward. Took me almost a minute to figure out why my character kept backing off the top of the long ladder in the maintenance tunnels.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Kolya, voodoo47

66ef3b7e5da93DKDArtagnan

66ef3b7e5dadf
A lot of purists around here :)

66ef3b7e5db84Section

66ef3b7e5dbcf
Guess I'm the only one who welcomes these RPG changes, whether they're a different gamemode or by default. After all, it is a reboot :)

66ef3b7e5de1bDKDArtagnan

66ef3b7e5de6c
Guess I'm the only one who welcomes these RPG changes, whether they're a different gamemode or by default. After all, it is a reboot :)

Definitely not.

I expected more RPG elements back in 1994 - seeing as how the game was done by Looking Glass, who were behind my beloved UU and UU2.

To me, if they add them properly with emphasis on immersion - RPG progression elements would be wonderful. Both in terms of giving us a new take on something we love - and to add to replayability.

For the purists, they can implement a classic mode where gear is all that matters.
Acknowledged by: Join usss!

66ef3b7e5df1fSchuler

66ef3b7e5dfd4
I don't know about that. LG also made Thief, which didn't need RPG elements to be great, and besides the Hacker does have an established Garret-like character in his email to Lansing.
Acknowledged by 4 members: Nameless Voice, ThiefsieFool, icemann, Hikari

66ef3b7e5e0eeicemann

66ef3b7e5e13b
Which was exactly my point earlier.

Hackers are basically your Thief's of the modern and future ages.

66ef3b7e5e339DKDArtagnan

66ef3b7e5e397
I don't know about that. LG also made Thief, which didn't need RPG elements to be great, and besides the Hacker does have an established Garret-like character in his email to Lansing.

I don't know. I'm not a huge fan of Thief, myself, and one of the reasons is the lack of meaningful character progression.

66ef3b7e5e645Schuler

66ef3b7e5e6a1
I don't know. I'm not a huge fan of Thief, myself, and one of the reasons is the lack of meaningful character progression.

Well...there're two ways of doing characters in games. You can have a blank slate, like SS2's Soldier or Gordon Freeman, or you have an established character that talks, like Booker DeWitt, with a personality the player grows to love. Honestly I think either will do depending on the game - some want a single, well-told story with an established character like a film or TV show, and others want the player to discover the story themselves, so having the protagonist doesn't work because the devs want to "talk" to players directly. Or does this sound weird?
66ef3b7e5e83d
I want to feel like I am the protagonist. The avatar is my vehicle through which I can use the tools the game provides me to do things my way. Fixed dialogue lines without choice and cutscenes where my character is doing stuff that I wouldn't do, are taking away from that idea.
66ef3b7e5e9da
I'm not a lawyer, but they might be violating one of the font licenses...
License here
Note the eight.

Code: [Select]
The user of this House Industries font software agrees to credit House Industries as the trademark and copyright owner of the House Industries fonts and list the font names, wherever and whenever design, production, or any other credits are shown.

66ef3b7e5ea9dSchuler

66ef3b7e5eae8
Well, given that the Unity splash screen at the start says it's a personal (ie non-commercial) edition, I think they're already in trouble.

66ef3b7e5ebdeNameless Voice

66ef3b7e5ec29
But the demo is free?  They'll most likely be moving up to the full version for the actual game.
66ef3b7e5ee67
Well, given that the Unity splash screen at the start says it's a personal (ie non-commercial) edition, I think they're already in trouble.

That is hilarious. Like they don't have 60$ per month for full license...

Edit: 125$ per month now, used to be lower.
« Last Edit: 29. June 2016, 23:01:29 by Gawain »
4 Guests are here.
And behind this is the horizon of earth.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66ef3b7e60047