66eeddbfaab81

66eeddbfab28b
4 Guests are here.

Topic: SSR: Who has decided not to back it?
Page: « 1 ... 4 [5] 6 »
Read 11170 times  

66eeddbfabcf5hemebond

66eeddbfabd5f
I won't be backing it because a Linux version is a stretch-goal and there is no Linux demo.

66eeddbfac21dunn_atropos

Acknowledged by 2 members: Hikari, CaveManta

66eeddbfac37fvoodoo47

66eeddbfac3d6
also, hitting 1.1m and making the linux/mac build happen is pretty much guaranteed now (11 days left, less than 60k missing), that's why I was scratching my head there.

66eeddbfac703hemebond

66eeddbfac752
Ooh, release yesterday. Thanks for that, downloading now.
also, hitting 1.1m and making the linux/mac build happen is pretty much guaranteed now (11 days left, less than 60k missing), that's why I was scratching my head there.
Because I'm not going to buy something that I might now be able to play. It also hints at their commitment to the platform as well as the development pipeline.
« Last Edit: 17. July 2016, 10:43:25 by hemebond »

66eeddbfac80dvoodoo47

66eeddbfac858
again, wut? you have a linux demo available and you are also getting a native linux build for the full game. first stretch goal was/is linux support, and they released the demo even before reaching it, that not enough for you?

66eeddbfac99cZylonBane

66eeddbfac9f3
The "Linux gamer" is such an odd, paradoxical creature.
Acknowledged by: CaveManta

66eeddbfaccecZanderat

66eeddbfacd59
I won't be backing it because a Linux version is a stretch-goal and there is no Linux demo.
Umm,  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/1629008

66eeddbfad033Zanderat

66eeddbfad08f
again, wut? you have a linux demo available and you are also getting a native linux build for the full game. first stretch goal was/is linux support, and they released the demo even before reaching it, that not enough for you?
Evidently not.  Not sure what he expects.  NDS has gone above and beyond by releasing that demo before the goal was even met.
Acknowledged by 2 members: Hikari, CaveManta

66eeddbfad757hemebond

66eeddbfad7aa
Well, that's a lie. Right now there will not be a version for my OS.

The full release of System Shock will be initially available for Windows and Xbox One.
If they release a version for Linux I'll look at buying it.

The "Linux gamer" is such an odd, paradoxical creature.
Nope, surprisingly simple. Release a game I want on Linux and I'll buy it.

Yes, someone already linked to that post. That post was made a day before my comment, on a Kickstarter I don't follow.

Evidently not.  Not sure what he expects.  NDS has gone above and beyond by releasing that demo before the goal was even met.
Above and beyond? Seriously? They released a game demo. If they don't release it on Linux I won't buy it. They're not doing me any favours.

I don't know why this is so difficult for you all to understand. It's like you're desperate for the game and can't understand why someone else wouldn't be; especially when that someone else might not even be able to play it.

66eeddbfad872voodoo47

66eeddbfad8c0
ah, so you basically don't trust them to deliver the linux version and will only buy it once it's actually released. ok I suppose, kickstarter/paying for stuff beforehand is not everyone's thing.
66eeddbfada1a
Why would they deliver the Linux version if Linux support is a stretch goal that has not been met?

66eeddbfadcdchemebond

66eeddbfadd3a
ah, so you basically don't trust them to deliver the linux version and will only buy it once it's actually released. ok I suppose, kickstarter/paying for stuff beforehand is not everyone's thing.
I've backed a few projects on Kickstarter and it has definitely made me more wary of platform promises.

66eeddbfade3dvoodoo47

66eeddbfade97
technically, it has not been met yet, but with 10 days left to get the remaining 50K, it's a very, very safe bet. yeah yeah, we can have an alien invasion or ww3 next week, and then we'll probably have other things to worry about, but under normal circumstances, linux/mac build is happening.

can't say the same about the 1.4m rpg additions goal though, even the expected last day pledge spike might not be enough to reach that.
« Last Edit: 18. July 2016, 17:34:04 by voodoo47 »

66eeddbfae348RocketMan

66eeddbfae3af
It won't.

I've backed a few projects on Kickstarter and it has definitely made me more wary of platform promises.

Just curious... don't bite me or anything, but why don't/won't you use Windows?  If I liked Linux so much, I'd probably keep a Windows rig for those "just in case I need it" moments, y'know?  You could probably even employ a dual boot or a boot DVD or something to get the game working on Windows.

66eeddbfae479voodoo47

66eeddbfae527
trying to get win10 at least partially under control today, I can understand why - it was mostly me asking "pretty please?" with win10 replying "no, f*ck you, f*ck you because f*ck you". an OS that does exactly what you want might be nice for a change.

66eeddbfae638Nameless Voice

66eeddbfae691
Until you rm / -rf by mistake and have to reinstall.

(Really amazing how fast that renders your machine inoperable.)

66eeddbfae772RocketMan

66eeddbfae7d7
If I had my choice of Windows OS today, given it was meant to be a backup for games not supported on Linux, I'd choose 7.

66eeddbfaeae7hemebond

66eeddbfaeb3a
Just curious... don't bite me or anything, but why don't/won't you use Windows?  If I liked Linux so much, I'd probably keep a Windows rig for those "just in case I need it" moments, y'know?  You could probably even employ a dual boot or a boot DVD or something to get the game working on Windows.
I was a Windows network admin for 5+ years. During that time I made the switch because I'd had enough of Windows both at work and at home. I find Linux to be a better OS for everything I do. It was also supposed to save me money because there wouldn't be any games to buy; Steam ruined that part.

I do have a Windows partition I boot into every now and then to play Windows-only game, but it has to be worth the effort. Window never fails to annoy and frustrate me with when I do jump in to play something.

66eeddbfaec9bicemann

66eeddbfaecfa
Is there a specific Windows that afterward you were done with it all?

Take myself for example, I hate everything Microsoft has put out after 7. So I stick with 7.

66eeddbfaef7fhemebond

66eeddbfaefcd
Is there a specific Windows that afterward you were done with it all?
My Windows install is Windows 7. Works okay. It wasn't a particular version of Windows that put me off, it was just how Windows works in general. I'd already been using Linux a bit and enjoyed the flexibility and consistency.

Third-party Windows applications are, in general, terrible. Windows encourages terrible software development practices and behaviour. At one point I had to explain to a software developer why their software would not work on a network and provided a link to the Windows developer guidelines.

When it comes to desktop environments Linux has a tonne, each suiting different people and different workflows; a lot of the "fancy new" desktop stuff you see in Windows has been available in Linux desktop managers for a long time.

66eeddbfaf5c9ZylonBane

66eeddbfaf624
Third-party Windows applications are, in general, terrible.
Sturgeon's Law says hello.
66eeddbfaf77f
Smirnoff's law says nostrovia!

4 Guests are here.
Be careful of fantasies. They can come true. It hollows me out.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66eeddbfb0abf