66ee321b67d1d

66ee321b6862b
2 Guests are here.

Topic: My selection of the best SS2 mods here Read 13707 times  

66ee321b690a4
I've spent the past hour or two or 3 (definately three) reading the details of every Mod for System Shock 2 and downloading a fair share of them.  After spending these hours doing so, I realized I could have saved myself the trouble had there been a topic about combining all the mods to make one killer game.  Now, there probably is a topic like this somewhere, and I did see references in the Mod Archives to questions regarding different mods used in parallel, but just incase someone else out there wants to make the best game possible with all these wonderful mods and can't find a comprehensive package, well....

To start off, I have played almost every FPS created, along with pretty much every RPG (except for Baulders Gate remakes with that isometric view nonsense..).  I played Wolfenstein 3D the week it came out, as well as Doom 1-3, Ultima Underworld 1+2, Wing Commander and Privateer 1+2, Descent, Quake... all within the week they came out (remember speech packs?) ..... there is no possible way I could write all the games I've played, and/or estimate the cumulative years spent playing them...  With that said, somehow, I never played System Shock 1 or 2.  So, believe it or not, I'm an SS virgin, and I only came here to find out which class I should start with.... lol.

What I found instead, happily, was an awesome Mod forum.  I've played FreeSpace 2 SCP, Privateer Gold+PU, and Thief2 mods recently, so I was quite happy to see the wealth of useful mods for this horror filled DX-esc title.  But back to my original topic:

I prefaced this list by stating my System Shock Virginity to demonstrate my intention to create a well balanced and graphically enhanced version without overwhelmingly changing the content.

First I'll list the downloads I made..

SS2 SHTUP (Shock Texture Update Project)
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,22.0.html

SS2 Schatten SHMUP (Shock Music Update) v1.1
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,657.msg1901.html#msg1901

SS2 Rebirth Beta 01 - Complemented Version
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,8.0.html

SS2 Straylight ADaoB v0.2.7
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,25.0.html

SS2 Mod - Ejecting Bullet Casings that don't disappear by Blaydes99
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,304.0.html

SS2 Fixed security bot arm texture [English]
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,623.0.html

SS2 HiTorque's complete Med/Sci changes
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,4.0.html
--- this mod changes gameplay unfortunately, so we'll have to wait for the new UARMM.

which brings me to Weapons.  There are multiple weapons mods, both for graphics and balance.  More input from other users in this topic will fill in the gaps I've missed, but i'll start with these quality re-textures.

- Pistol and Shotgun -
Tacticool Weapon Replacements
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,691.0.html

- Wrench -
SS2 Arcaniac Weapons
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,728.0.html

- Stasis Field Generator, Viral Proliferator, and Annelid Launcher -
SS2 RocketMan Alternative Weapons Pack Beta 3
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,679.0.html

- Psi Amp -
SS2 Eldron Psi Amp
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,82.0.html

- Fusion Cannon, Assault Rifle, and (maybe) Grenade Launcher -
SS2 Assidragon Weapon replacement pack
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,257.0.html

and last but not least, I might us some pieces from:
SS2 Arcaniac Graphics Pack Reduxed
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,251.0.html
--- I read its iffy, as well as being redundant with some of the aforementioned mods...
--- so I might pull pieces out of this mod that don't conflict with others, if they are useful.

I purposefully chose to link readers to the topics above instead of the download links for two reasons:
(1) so users can readily read important release/install information personally..
(2) so the wonderful people responsible for these mods get their due credit.

This topic was created to start a dialog about the different 'versions' of System Shock 2 we modders are currently playing.  As I have yet to EVER play the game, this will be a great way to kick it off, and I'd like to thank every single contributer whole-heartedly.  If anyone has an opinion about my choices, or knows of important additions to the list... please post.

Nutz0

« Last Edit: 07. April 2008, 17:38:54 by Nutz0 »

66ee321b69440miracle.flame

Re: Combining the best Mods
66ee321b69498
There's something plucking my eye along MUST-HAVE mods... that is SS2 HiTorque's complete Med/Sci changes. These two maps are not only enhanced by doors, drawers and signs but also enormous heaps of nanites and cyber modules which sends the gameplay to infantile fun of cheating and toying... not really gaming. I would not call this a must-have, definitely not for first-timers.

Besides that quite nice and useful list of graphic enhancing mods.
What's wrong about SHMUP?

You are choosing really strong words there about playing every FPS and RPG, surely courageous you are. By "have played" you mean also "have finished..at least half of it"? Well then, let's start with these... Have you played Black Crypt? Or Perihelion? Really something! Have you really played all the RPGs even all the manga ones? And I don't mean only something like Knights of Xentar but e.g. all Zelda series, Final Fantasy series,... Do you remember the ancient FPS (speaking of ancient, have you played Ancients I and II?) Ken's Labyrinth? Did you enjoy TekWar? One of the less famous FPSs but I liked it.
I really want to know which RPGs and FPS of the history do you consider the best ones. Right now I have no idea how is this all related to modding or the thread you started so I'd like to suggest to start a new thread about this at Free Discussion.  :p
66ee321b696dd
in regards to starting a new discussion, sounds good.  I'll be there in a sec.  and no, I did not enjoy tek war !.. heh

in regards to HiTorques mod, I must have missed the part where it listed changes to item amounts.  I definately dont wanna play with more nanites than i would get, and I actually already noticed it seemed like i had alot.  I'm such a squirrel though, when it comes to ammo conservation, that I didnt even buy stuff out of, or bother to hack the vending machines..

This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for, (if you remove the sarcasm pointed at my history.. I've played atleast half of the most obscure games you could think of.. lol).  I am definately new to this forum, and the mods herein, and I'm glad you brought the torque changes to my attention..

I am having a problem with saved games..  maybe once I remove the torque mod, it won't occur, because thats the only conflicting mod (even if he says it doesnt matter).  The problem is sporadic, but it happens atleast 25% of the time...:  when I save on a new spot, or even sometimes on an existing spot, the game freezes, so I have to ctrl-alt-delete out of ss2, then start it up again, and loading the save file which froze me works fine.  It's not the worst of errors, as I can always restart the game and reload, but it does take me out of the tension, which is considerable.  (even with all my extra nanites)

Anyway, if you or anyone else knows whats going on with that, please hook me up.  Also, if it's not considerably difficult, I would like to suggest either (A) telling me how to remove the gameplay changes from HiTorques mod without removing the graphic enhancements, like see through med doors? or (B) making a HiTorques Reduce mod for the site...  If I'm not mistaken, transparent doors are part of that mod, and they already came in handy in the morgue.

Otherwise, tell me if you think that list includes the best/most enhancing first-time features I can get.

thanks for taking an interest, even if it was to slap me down.. lol

Nutz0

66ee321b69812miracle.flame

66ee321b6985e
Well there's UARMM which as it says incorporates few .mis mods that are otherwise incompatibile with each other but all that you can read there. The point is all graphical changes to med/sci are free of heaps of nanites and cyber modules and I've made also the second map that way which was not in original HiTorque's.

EDIT: BTW I have an updated/fixed version of UARMM ready to go but I'm waiting for Kolya to release an update for ADaoB as my updated version is to be compatibile with that version and to be correct I'll wait for it to come out first so it won't look that those fixes there were my work or what.
66ee321b69b72
nice, UARMM looks like a good addition to my list, but I too will wait to implement it until you create a version that involves StrayLights 0.2.7 (I assume thats what you're gonna use) or if not, then 0.2.8 ?

Scratch that, I don't wanna wait.  Did you fix the map problem, (even though I've yet to use the map, I'm sure I'll have to eventually).  I'm currently playing System Shock 2 for the first time, as you know, and I've only killed maybe 5 monkeys (that should tell ya how far i've gotten).  So before I continue any further, I wanna fix my mods so that gameplay is untainted...  Especially if I have to start over...... now would be time as I've only spent a few hours playing.  I'm taking my time, getting soaked by the tension, peaking around every corner.... so with that said, do you know of anywhere in this forum that discusses my savegame problem?  If I have to restart, or more to the point when I do change the mods, it would be a good time to fix that problem as well.

So anyway, when you reply to this, I'll probably edit my original post to include UARMM, right under StrayLight 0.2.7, as an alternative and/or better comprehensive choice.  With that in mind, Do you think you could do me the personal favor of creating a version of UARMM that includes the newest StrayLight like you already intended, the HiTorque with your level 2 (assuming map is ok), the WormOnly stuff, as well as an Ejected_Bullet_Casings that don't disappear...?  If we did that, than maybe we could just bundle all this stuff up and make a hefty graphic upgrade...

p.s.   what do you think about Arcaniac graphics redux..?  is there anything within that modpack that i should consider using, because I've already decided not to use it unless I pick pieces out...

p.s.2:  how do you use a phrase like miracle.freaks UARMM repack and have that phrase be the link without posting the link under it?  I know thats probably a noob question, but hey...

Thanks again for all your help...
Nutz0

p.s.3:  I started a topic in free discussion called All the Games you've ever loved:
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,990.msg3557.html#msg3557
« Last Edit: 05. April 2008, 03:02:49 by Nutz0 »

66ee321b6b543miracle.flame

66ee321b6b5ae
nice, UARMM looks like a good addition to my list, but I too will wait to implement it until you create a version that involves StrayLights 0.2.7 (I assume thats what you're gonna use) or if not, then 0.2.8 ?
it involves 0.2.8.
Did you fix the map problem, (even though I've yet to use the map, I'm sure I'll have to eventually).
yep, it's fixed
so with that said, do you know of anywhere in this forum that discusses my savegame problem?  If I have to restart, or more to the point when I do change the mods, it would be a good time to fix that problem as well.
That would be a good idea because mods that involve .mis files are always partly incompatibile with saves...check this thread. About your issue I have no idea. So far I've noticed someone here who could not load the saves so something inverse.  :confused:
With that in mind, Do you think you could do me the personal favor of creating a version of UARMM that includes the newest StrayLight like you already intended, the HiTorque with your level 2 (assuming map is ok), the WormOnly stuff, as well as an Ejected_Bullet_Casings that don't disappear...?  If we did that, than maybe we could just bundle all this stuff up and make a hefty graphic upgrade...
Sure, I've got the file, you may contact me via ICQ if you want, I'd prefer that way. But you aren't going to make some prepack of things that can be freely picked here already or something like that, are you?
p.s.   what do you think about Arcaniac graphics redux..?  is there anything within that modpack that i should consider using, because I've already decided not to use it unless I pick pieces out...
what's my opinion or what I prefer you can read here.
p.s.2:  how do you use a phrase like miracle.freaks UARMM repack and have that phrase be the link without posting the link under it?  I know thats probably a noob question, but hey...
something like this
Code: [Select]
[url=https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,638.0.html]miracle.freaks UARMM repack[/url]Next time you can click quote on something similar and seek the code yourself.  :thumbwink: Now I'd like you not to call UARMM repack because there's nothing repacked in fact...all aspects had to be implemented one by one directly into the maps and shock2.gam edited as well. And you may cut that miracle.freak's too :D I don't like to have it nicked. UARMM will do.  :p

Thanks again for all your help...
Nutz0

p.s.3:  I started a topic in free discussion called All the Games you've ever loved:
https://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,990.msg3557.html#msg3557
You're welcome. I'll check in that later. ))

66ee321b6be4dmiracle.flame

66ee321b6beb0
All in all I don't think this whole thread is a good idea..here's why...
I've spent the past hour or two or 3 (definately three) reading the details of every Mod for System Shock 2 and downloading a fair share of them.  After spending these hours doing so, I realized I could have saved myself the trouble had there been a topic about combining all the mods to make one killer game. 
I guess these three hours were very well spent so you now have better insight..something that the blind followers of this wouldn't have. Besides this is your opinion but someone else could have picked some other titles. Like the SHMUP I've mentioned. I can't see any downsides why not include it as a must-have. But anyone strictly following this guide is advised to omit it which I cannot agree with...just an example. Another thing, most people would be anyway curious to check the other mods available so all in all it would take them the same time plus time needed to read through this thread. I'm not saying that all threads of this type are a waste but on this site I have to. This site has all mods nicely archived and described on a sole board which is neat. Unlike some other sites which has them scattered all over many boards and notwhat and you REALLY have to waste time on even finding them first. Feel free to work on this thread but please at least name it more correctly (I'll do that for you right away) and point to SS2 Modding mechanics & compatibilities in first post as it has quite much to do with combining some mods... Rebirth and Arcaniacs come to mind mostly.  ;)
66ee321b6c2db
you da man...

As it is my selection of the best mods for my first SS2 experience, the title is fine by me..

I just thought it would help others, because it did take me some effort find all the different graphical enhancements/patches/gameplay adjustments that I've So Far listed.  I intend on editing it, or you can feel free (obviously) to do so, to add/subtract pieces based on topic response.

More importantly, I specifically made the choice to include links to the topic and not to the file..  That was an effort to keep the focus on developers and their insites and instructs.  Maybe you feel the words MUST HAVES: is too decisive or arrogant.  I definately don't want to come off sounding like I had any part in making any of these very well-made upgrades..  or know anything about how to make them, or even know which ones are the best.  This topic is an effort to get knowledged people to respond with their favorite choices on game setup, as well as a way for me to make a modded version of SS2 that has all the best graphical enhancements/gameplay dynamics for my purposes.  It is working so far...

If you think the music pack is that good, I'll definately try it.  I'm a musician, so music is crucial..  so far when I've tried modding the music of games it usually lets me down, so I guess I was just subconciously keeping my choices within the graphic/gameplay category.  It does sound like you consider it to be badass, so I will download it after I post this.

Also, in terms of my choices, they reflect my personal opinion on the changes that both look good and keep the original feel... it's important to point that out because I think all the mods that I've read about so far are inspired and well made.

obviously, I'm just trying to make this game as pimp as possible.  Without trying to sound like I've played every FPS in existance, I've played alot, and its remarkable that I missed this one considering how much I loved Deus Ex 1 and even 2...   I have Deus Ex1 installed right now.  As well as Thief 2, Hitman Codename 47, Arx Fatalis, VegaStrike/Privateer Gold/PU, SpaceQuest and PoliceQuest packs, System Shock 2, and Raid over Moscow (Commadore 64 baby).

anyway, I would like SS2 to last awhile, because I'm running low on good games...

lol... on a side note, I just uninstalled Worms Armeggon:NE, Indigo Proficy, Hitman:Bloodmoney... 
and I have yet to install Vampire Bloodlines.

anyway, I'll be cool with whatever action needs to be taken to preserve the integrity of the site.  I'm don't think my list/setup of SS2 is as good as it could be, so I've paused on playing it until I do.

I still need UARMM, ejecting bullet casings stay, SHmusic, and maybe a weapon or two, plus any other mod anyone can think of that would help create my selection of the best ss2 mods here.

Thanks for your specific attention miracle.freak.  Maybe people should start responding with lists of the mods their currently playing... that might continue this topic as a discussion rather than a Nutz0-pack..
and No, I definately will not be releasing any compilations... who the hell am I.

Nutz0

p.s. I'm not gonna get to play SS2 for a few days it looks like, sigh... thank god I already ditched that painful experience: Worms Armeggedon... guess I'll play poker.

66ee321b6c406miracle.flame

66ee321b6c451
To make it short I did not misinterpreted "must-have", I know what it stands for. I just find list such as this discriminating against the mods which are not mentioned which is unfair for their authors. Besides that all the most important mods are pinned up in the archive so something like a must-have list is already there. I'm not discouraging you to work on this... contrary I'd like you to make it complete as soon as possible 'cause in its current stage I personally find it misinformating.

Surely there are people who come here with a teory "Imma gonna spend here one hour at most not a minute longer to pimp my game!". Then this list could be useful for them but only when it's complete.

SHMUP being named similarly as SHTUP is nothing else than original material but of higher quality. ("changes that both look good and keep the original feel")
66ee321b6c6fe

so I read your choices in the link above, and it seems you and I have similar tastes.

I have a couple of statements/questions..

When you get a chance to update a combopack, please consider adding the midwife graphics/ghost graphics.  After adding SHMUP to my list, and adding a mention of the impending UARMM, I hope to get a working mod list for my game as soon as possible... cause I'm getting excited.  I do have one problem, that I can't personally go into the game and see what models I like best, because that would defeat the purpose of playing the game for the first time.

In terms of the Model Packs, Rebirth and Arcaniac, it might be a little much for me to go in and decide which models from each to use.  If I load rebirth, then overload arcaniac, I'm pretty sure if I have read correctly there will still be a few issues to deal with (maybe the bots are fixed, and other stuff, but I'm just not sure what else is/is not fixed)..  Perhaps being a well experienced player, knowing what kind of game I'm personally going for, and having obviously spent some time with this game, you could make an up-to-date best of both combo for me...?  I hope I'm not asking too much, and I hesitated to ask at all, but as you know I'm just trying to make the best SS2... my sincere desire to play a well-remade SS2 should be obvious, because I've been working on my mod choices for over a week, and checking the forums every day, without barely touching the game..

Anyway, you've already helped me a great deal, and agreed to pack ejectedbulletcasings into the next UARMM for 0.2.8, which I hope comes out very soon... so I don't wanna keep asking and asking and asking...etc.  I'm usually not so helpless, but part of my helplessness comes from my SS2 Virginity, and the fact that I can't really go into the game and check out these models myself.

when we talk about activating mods in order, does it have to appear in order on the list in Ss2MM
or just have been activated in order?

Thanks again,
Nutz0

66ee321b6cbf3
when we talk about activating mods in order, does it have to appear in order on the list in Ss2MM
or just have been activated in order?

They have to be activated in order. The list is alphabetically sorted I think.

66ee321b6cd60miracle.flame

66ee321b6cdb1
You really are funny guy Nutz0. ))

- I really can not know what kind of game you're personally going for but since you've played so many FPS I suppose you're skilled enough to have more fun with Mute Security Cameras.

- I've already told you that UARMM 1.1 will come out as soon as ADaoB 0.2.8. is out but I can send you the file right now for your personal interest if you just gave me some means where to send it because for e-mail it would be too large attachment. I can upload it and send you the link via PM, okay?

- I can add in some models combo like that midwife/ghost thing and maybe what I prefer but it should be your choice what to mix, no? Well I can set you mine but hey...

Please, give me some specific requirements as what you want me to mix in because I'm gonna send you single mod file that you'll activate as the last one. I really REALLY don't recommend this fancy but if that is your wish I have no problems with it.
66ee321b6d070

thanks man, u da bomb...

I'll think about exactly what I want and talk to ya via PM..  I realized after posting that last message that nothing in it needed to be public.. oh well.

In regards to mute camera's, I haven't decided yet.  When allowed, I'm a stealth killer in any game, so setting off alot of alarms might annoy me... on the other hand, anything that makes the game more realistic and therefore more difficult is ALWAYS a plus..

One thing I've always disliked in any FPS is random spawning... so the WormOnly mod might be good for me, and thats probably the reason I'm not sure about cameras.  So far as I can tell, having only set off 1 alarm in SS2, once you trip it, badguys spawn at certain distances away from you and at certain intervals, so that they start tracking you from around the corner lets say... and they just keep popping until the alarm stops...  If thats the case, I'm sure I'll be stealthin' it, so the yellow beeping phase of an alarm camera might actually be important.

BTW, I don't think I ever mentioned this, but I chose to be Navy for my first go...   I wanna hack everything... so if a hacked camera attracts different attention from NPCs then normal, that also might not be a welcome change, unless it improves realism..  (I haven't fully read about the camera's yet on their mod page, so I'll do that soon).  Personally, I doubt Zombie's would know when you hacked a camera.. maybe androids.. but I also doubt any of the haywire NPCs would attack electronic devices without being attacked first.. thats just going too far.

Anyway, I'll get back to you, and thanks alot for your attention... your input and help is definately going to rock my SS2 experience..

Asides from SS2, I'd probably be whippin ass at Halo 3, or watching Helicopters fall on jungle huts in Crysis, but I don't own an Xbox 360, nor a TV, and my computer threatened to commit suicide if I even consider a game more powerful than Civilizations IV.. so SS2 is my holy grail.

Thanks again...
Nutz0

66ee321b6d1d4Silencer150

66ee321b6d22f
After reading over this topic, there's something I would like to ask on a related note.  Having to activate individual mods that apply to different parts of the game isn't really a problem for me.  It would probably be easy enough to merge all my favorite weapon remakes, for example, into a single file.  What bugs me is that three of my favorite mods are all gamesys mods: ADaOB, Crion's CMJ, and Pop's D&E.  I usually end up activating ADaOB first, and then having to choose between Crion's and Pop's mods.

I tried making the changes manually using ShockEd, but there are way too many details to keep track of.  I would really like to play the game with the fixes in Straylight's mod, the nanite economy, skill tree, and difficulty changes in Pop's mod, along with the ability to farm CMs and other rare items off enemies in Crion's mod.  Is there any good way to do this?  I'd settle for editing Pop's shock.gam file to include Crion's changes, but I have no clue how to start since I don't have much experience with ShockEd.

Damn, this was probably a bad idea anyway.  :p

66ee321b6d301miracle.flame

66ee321b6d351
If I'm correct POP's 2.0 has most (not all) of ADaoB fixes itself and while testing it I could swear I've found CM after killing some hybrid there, so maybe it is the closest choice.

66ee321b6d4baSilencer150

66ee321b6d511
I noticed that too.  According to the readme, one of the features of Pop's D&E is that CMs were added to random enemy loot.  The reason I still prefer Crion's mod for farming strategies is that the probability of finding any CMs in Pop's mod is extremely low, which makes it somewhat impractical.  I was only able to find one CM out of every 100 or so enemies I killed.

I suppose this does prevent you from taking the "cheap" way out by staying on early decks and building up godlike skills from repeatedly setting off the alarm, in that it forces you to get on with the actual game if you want more modules.  However the handful bonus modules you'd get over the course of the entire game in Pop's mod doesn't really make much of a difference in the long run.  Don't get me wrong, Pop's mod is one of my favorites regardless, but my point is that it requires a more inflexible strategy than Crion's.  This is why I think the generous drops balanced by cost compensation of Crion's mod would perfectly complement the difficulty enhancements in Pop's mod.
2 Guests are here.
Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66ee321b6e885