66ee3a4d907f9

66ee3a4d91b76
1 Guest is here.

Topic: All the games you've ever loved Read 3789 times  

66ee3a4d92531
so miracle.freak and I started a discussion about all the coolest oldschool->newschool RPGs and/or FPSs we've played throughout our lives, and thought it would make a good topic.  *I edited this post to have the list appear first, because I wrote alot more than I expected... lol.* 

Perhaps the list we generate over time will be vast and obscure.. 

Ancients
Arx Fatalis
Bard's Tale
Black Crypt
Blood
Bushido Blade
Corridor 7
Counter Strike
Crysis
Darklands
Descent
Deus Ex
Doom
Duke Nukem
Elder Scrolls
Elite
Eye of the Beholder
FarCry
Final Fantasy
FreeSpace
Grand Theft Auto
Half Life
Halo
Hexen
James Bond GoldenEye
Ken's Labrynth
Legend of Xentar
Mace Griffith Bounty Hunter
Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle
Perihelion
PoliceQuest
Privateer
Quake
Raid over Moscow
Resident Evil
Rise of the Triad
Shadow Warrior
ShadowGate
SpaceQuest
Star Control
StarWars Tie Fighter
System Shock
TekWar
Tenchu
Thief
Ultima
Ultima Underworld
Wing Commander
Wolfenstein
X
X-Com: UFO Defense
Zelda
Zork

I'm trying to have a list of  quality games, mostly RPG or FPS (spacesims included), but I couldn't resist adding games like Tenchu and Bushido Blade, because they kicked ass.  I didn't include sequels, but I'm definately thinking about them...e.g. Doom2, FreeSpace2, SS2...etc.  I'm probably not going to add any strategy games myself, but feel free to mention anything...  I'll be back to add more, and/or add oither posters choices.  Also, if you want to, miracle.freak, or any admin, feel free to edit this post and add games, add links, alphebetize.. etc.  I will also do the same, later...

To continue our conversation:

First off, miracle.freak mentioned a few games that are parts of bigger series that I've loved... namely Black Crypt and Legend of Xentar..  Black Crypt wasn't actually a part of this series, but brings me back to Eye of the Beholder, which is one of my favorite RPG series ever.  I loved the controls, and the icons for little weapons you pick up, kinda like SS2..  I used to remove weapons after they'd been used and put fresh ones in their place before the 1st weapon could renew its attack..  Only thing I ever hated about EotB-like games were those overly time consuming Mirror Image/Warp sections of map, the ones you walk through and it sends you somewhere screwed, and it takes awhile to figure out you're being toyed with..
Black Crypt was cool too, and I almost always choose to be a cleric in other games when you don't need to be a warrior, but I played EotB 1+2 multiple times, and loved it, even within the last 5 years.

Legend of Xentar ofcourse reminds us all of old school Zelda.. I actually don't remember winning Legend of Xentar, but I know I spent countless hours playing it and/or winning most Zelda releases available on any platform (except color handhelds and newer Game Cube releases).  I also won all the Final Fantasies up to 9 or 10? I forget... definately past 7.  The last one I played was a PS2 version, with beautiful cutscenes, but I can't remember which one... I do remember, however, that my girlfriend at the time liked watching it (even though she hated video games) so that game took a front row.  Ooh, that reminds me of King's Field, which I played that at the same time.  Anyway, back to Zelda, which is a favorite, especially Zelda 1+2 on nintendo, as it transformed the Nintendo into a powerhouse machine with expansive maps and save games... amazing..  Remember, before Zelda, you had to leave your Nintendo on all night to keep going the next day... lol.  There was also an obscure RPG that I wanna say started with the word Dark, man I wish I could remember.  It was alot like Xentar but with more realistic character and background graphics.. Same style gameplay (sort of), but without that PG Nintendo Childish cheesey quality (which is cool too, just different). 
--- It was DarkLands, the game that never ends ---

Does anyone remember TekWar, William Shatner doom..?  well I do, but unfortunately that game came at a time when 'I only had eyes for Doom'..  man was doom ever the best thing that happened to gaming (at the time).  Multiplayer, RocketLauncher... need I say more.. how about piles of bloody goo after blasting someone with a rocket!  I remember playing Descent, and thinking how remarkable it was to actually been in 3D..  but Doom stole my heart. 
- And then after Doom 2, Quake stole my soul.  I had clanned up in doom, and again in Quake, and I definately kicked some ass multiplayer.. anyone who played quake knows you could electrify the water to kill teams of enemies, and oh how I loved to do it.  Any hardcore quake player remembers the grappling hook, and how you could basically fly around by grappling to pillars and ceilings with a bouncing motion of the mouse, all the while shooting rockets and nails down on people. 
- I was rated 37 in Halo 2 before I quit, I had made it up to 39, but I refuse to cheat in any way, and there were so many hacker/modders in Halo online that once you passed 35 or so, it became a 50 50 chance that you'd get stuck playing against a 12 year old fool with a modded xbox.  Therefore, I never got my moon..

anyway... i wrote alot because of some of miracle.freaks obscure picks to continue our conversation.... but it looks like I'll have to edit the list over time (my girlfriend just got home, and you know how girlies need their attention.. lol).  So from here on out lets use this topic to brainstorm on any/every groundbreaking, (or not so groundbreaking), oldschool (or not so oldschool) video game thats found a place in our overbrimming libraries.  Don't worry, you don't have to have won the game to love it...

so... discuss!
Nutz0
« Last Edit: 05. April 2008, 03:32:36 by Nutz0 »

66ee3a4d927ffmiracle.flame

66ee3a4d92853
Ummm.. whoah.. this list is obscure already. I was expecting some 10-20 titles that let's say changed your life or so. But I guess they are there somewhere among those, right? I can see there all those that I mentioned... Well I didn't say they are "quality games" I was just curious if you've played them because I doubt there is anyone who had played even all those hundreds of RPGs that exist. If I should pick some games that really mean something for me from this list they would be:
Blood, Crysis, Doom, Duke Nukem (3D I presume), EOB I,II, FF7, HL, KNIGHTS of Xentar (if you want it correct), MM2:DOTT (and all Lucas Arts adventures), Perihelion, Shadow Warrior, Space Quest (all but mosty 3&5), System Shock, Thief, UFO

But generally some that I really couldn't live without, the absolute highlights are:
Planescape: Torment (this is my #1 absolutely)
Albion
I have no Mouth and I must Scream
Lands of Lore
Quest For Glory IV - Shadows of Darkness
Thief I
System Shock 2
Monkey Island trilogy (I know there are 4 but I didn't like the 4th)
Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis
Leisure Suit Larry 7
Shadow of the Beast trilogy
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Little Big Adventure: Rellentless
Another World (Out of this world)
Master of Orion II - Battle at Antares
Alien Legacy (this one screams for a remake)
Jagged Alliance
Quadrax
Veil of Darkness
Worms Armageddon
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain (the very first one)
Half-Life 2  (just as it is.. no episodes.. those suck hard)

I can see your idea was to make the list as vast as possible so it would hold all games even worth playing....right? I have some list of most of my (PC) games somewhere in dusted folders I'll attach it so you can read through it add possibly add it to first post. ))) Most of them I've played and most of them finished. But I don't have enough time to write about my experiences and memories with them.
66ee3a4d92b1a
- Deus Ex 1 (my personal favourite)
- System Shock 1 & 2
- Thief
- Bioshock (I guess it's true but also a bit sad)
- Delta Force 1 & 2 (SP)
- Delta Force 3 (MP)
- Battlefield 2
- WoW (long over but there was a time I really loved it)
- Lucas Arts / Sierra adventures (90ies)
- Gran Turismo
- Tekken 3
- Worms (2D)
- Final Fantasy 7
- Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
- Ultima 7 (plus the addons)
- Civilization 1 and 4
- Historyline 1914-18 (Battle Isle-variation)
- Resident Evil 1
- FallOut 1 & 2
- CoD 4
- GTA 1, 2 & San Andreas
- Fifa 98
- Lemmings
- SimCity 2000
- Syndicate
- Mafia
- Pro-Pinball Fantastic Journey (PS1-version)
- Pro-Pinball Big Race USA & TimeShock (PC-version)
- Mortal Kombat 1
- Street Fighter 1
- Tetris
- Tony Hawks Pro Skater
- Wolfenstein 3D, Doom 1 & 2 (back in the days)
- Super Mario Brothers 1 & 2
- Metal Gear Solid 1 & 2
- Snatcher
- Oblivion (yeah, I actually liked it better than Morrowind. Believe it or not ;) )
- Uplink
- Dokutsu Monogatari (aka Cave Story)
- Commander Keen 1-4
- Vampire - The Masquerade: Bloodlines (VtMB)
- Alien vs Predator 2
- You Don't Know Jack 1-4
- Spider Solitaire
- Diablo 2 / Titan Quest / Dungeon Siege II
- Falcon 4.0
- GTR2
- Baldur's Gate 1 & 2
- Tron
- Privateer
- Zelda 1
Update:
- The Incredible Machine
- Comanche 1 & 3
- California Games
- Max Payne 2 (How could I forget about it?!)

...tbc...perhaps. I am pretty sure I forgot to mention lots of games I really loved at some point in time.

« Last Edit: 08. April 2008, 19:07:56 by fox »

66ee3a4d92c6emiracle.flame

66ee3a4d92cbb
OMG how could I forgot to put Fallout 2 among the very highest! Image: http://fem1.uniag.sk/Miroslav.Jezik/emoticons/1base16.gif
The same goes for Heroes of might & magic 3. VTM: Bloodlines was pretty awesome too.
A pinball game that I've played the most and beaten all highscores was Stones&Bones table from Pinball Fantasies.
66ee3a4d92f90
Yay, Pinball Fantasies... so much wasted time. :)
TILT TILT TILT

66ee3a4d93177miracle.flame

66ee3a4d93291
PF was actually the only pinball where I was able to tilt the ball out of a certain death when it fell through the side sink. I like that because skilled player could play on for really long. It was not such an adrenaline rush like the later pinballs where 10 balls each differently coloured swept through the table while you had to play some minigame on the scoretable display. Yet PF was very amusing for it's contructive gameplay... Mheh what a discussion. :D
66ee3a4d9341a
If you are still into pinball I strongly recommend the Pro-Pinball tables I've posted before. They work very well on modern PCs and feature incredibly much to discover. You can tweak pretty much everything you could with a real table too.
66ee3a4d93607

nice lists..  there sure have been alot of games that kicked ass over the years...  and alot more that didn't, but lets not start that list... lol

I totally forgot about Lands of Lore... ya gotta love that one..

I also can't believe I forgot about Syndicate.. that is Definately one of the greats.  I tried to install and play it a few years ago, but it failed to work properly..  maybe I'll go hunting for a Syndicate update-remake-mod forum..

keep it up, I'll update my list soon, and I'll probably have to add sequels, I just didnt want to have to distinguish between (for example) Halo 1 - 2 -3... as they come from different periods in game-growth..  Or Fallout 1 or 2, SS1 or 2, because we all know 2 is better.. but 1 was the pioneer.

The list started as a favorites, with miracle.freaks 6 obscure choices added in, but it became a little more..  Some of my absolute favorites are in there tho.... and your choices will be in there soon as well.

Maybe a month from now, we'll have a killer list... and then all we'll have to do is Download every title on the list and make a 100gb best in history pack.... downloaded 0 times it'll say.

Nutz0

66ee3a4d936a4miracle.flame

66ee3a4d936ed
lol

that reminds me...how come that old-skool.txt has 0 downloads?  :weird:
66ee3a4d93a89
that reminds me...how come that old-skool.txt has 0 downloads?  :weird:
Happy now? ;)

66ee3a4d93d58Cap. John Matrix

66ee3a4d93dd0
I'm writing here the PC games changed my life  :D :

Doom (this one I knowed on Sega Genesis)
Shadow Warrior (I'd saw it in the Nutz0's list)
Total Anihillation (someone remember? it's an strategy game)
Half Life (and Team Fortress and a number of  HF mods, I love these games)
Shogo (action/shooter in the future, good history line, I liked the weapons)
System Shock 2 (It's the best! But I don't like to play it tonight  :p)
Aliens Versus Predator (scary too, but put you "in the game" like SS2, an incredible immersion feeling: YOU ARE the caracter game!!  :))
66ee3a4d942f2
The games that i loved/the games that inspired me/the games I played too much:

Well, I listed a long list up there, and a few of them count... I woulda gone ahead and highlighted those orange for the sake of saving space.. but as you guys can see I tend to type a little too much in these replies... Nooo, really?

Dooms1+2, Quakes1+2, Halo2, and Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, in order, are the FPS's through which I killed the most real people, online, and along with Bond: GoldenEye (I won a tournament in Chicago once, lol), are games I've played well.

the Bushido Blades and the Tenchus I've replayed countless times on PS1-2.  GTA3 I played to death...

Ultima Underworlds and Ultima7, Eye of the Beholders, early Zeldas, and the Bard's Tale are my most played and most loved oldschool RPGs.  I also played Syndicate 30 times easy.

Once my dad took me to the movies to play Bad Dudes.. and after that day, Mortal Kombat, Virtual Figther, and Killer Instinct paid for themselves at the arcade.

Operation Wolf.... c'est magnific.. I also loved Ikari Warriors, Bionic Commando, Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Tecmo Bowl, Double Dragon 2, Ninja Gaiden... that list could go for ever.. I liked Russian Attack, but I wouldn't go so far as to use the word love.

all the Wing Commanders, both Privateers, and StarWars: Tie Fighter take the cake in space... ofcourse you can't forget about Star Control 2.  I have told people that Privateer is my favorite game of all time, and thats probably true, but multiplayer FPS's would balance the other end of the word favorite.

anyway, I'll think of more, I'm sure...
Nutz0
1 Guest is here.
xdiesp: I've been threading new ground for a while, I know it's full of traps and problems.
Contact SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies
FEEP
66ee3a4d94bb6